1.2

2001 Volkswagen Beetle fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Beetle:

2001 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Jun 032016

Beetle

I think there are air bubbles in the fuel injection pump. I have no money to repair it. I need it to go back and forth to work.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Jul 312015

Beetle

Forums concerning this VW model, and other models both older and newer, are replete with reports of the cars stalling with symptoms of starved fuel, usually arising when the tank is less than half full. See, e.g., forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4971876-car-stalling-while-at-speed-is-low-fuel-the-problem. My vehicle suffers from identical symptoms. Other owners attempt to solve the problem by (1) cleaning the fuel tank; (2) replacing the fuel pump; (3) replacing the speed sensor; (4) replacing the crank sensor; (5) replacing the fuel filter; (6) replacing the fuel pump relay; and (7) cleaning the fuel tank. In most cases, based on review from these forums, the problem is not permanently solved and recurs while driving causing the car to stall and creating a threat to life safety. I cannot believe VW is unaware of this problem based on the multitude of reports. Yet, I have seen nothing from VW that addresses this issue. If no investigation has been launched on this issue, NHTSA should launch one.

- Seattle, WA, USA