2.8

hardy worth mentioning

2002 Volkswagen Beetle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Beetle:

2002 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Nov 242010

Beetle 4-cyl

My fiancee and I purchased this Beetle in November of 2010 and have had nothing but problems with it. It has been in the shop a number of time (5-7) and we have spent hundreds in trying to fix it. Yet no luck. It is a danger to my fiancee and new born baby. On day it will run fine but then after driving for ten minutes the epc light come on and the brakes barely work if at all, and it wont speed up even if she has her foot to the floor. So now we have a $6000 dollar car that not even the VW dealership can fix. It sits on our road. I have seen so many complaints about people having the same problem and I believe its only a matter of time before some one gets seriously injured or even worse. Please do something about this monstrosity that VW refuses to admit.

- Bradford , OH, USA

Sep 302001

Beetle Diesel

Consumer states that the vehicle will intermittenly lose power at a certain speed and stay there for about 30 seconds the consumer has tried to step on the gas pedal but the vehicle will still drive at the same speed. Contacted dealer and the dealer is not willing to do anything.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 032002

Beetle

Car downshifts extremely hard when coming to a stop, causing driver and passengers to be lunged forward in their seat.. dealer states that this is a characteristic of the car. Problem is intermittent and increases when vehicle is warmed up. On occasion downshift occurred so hard that I thought I was just rear -ended by another car. I bought the car for my wife and now she is afraid to drive it.

- Honolulu, HI, USA