2002 Volkswagen Beetle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Beetle:

2002 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Oct 302015

The interior smells strongly of crayons and will not go away with shampooing, cleaning and/or other methods of odor removal. The odor is very strong and rubs off on clothing and skin whilst seated.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Sep 082007

Beetle 4-cyl

Since I bought the vehicle, I had all kinds of problems all the way from changing my whole engine, and changing all kinds of sensors and now I have this big concern with this strange smell problem which I can't get rid off, I had spray and bought all kinds of deodorants and still can't get rid off. I'm having light headaches and allergy problems, but once I get out of the car I'm ok now im to the point that I have to drive with my windows down bcuz this smell is horrible and I get a headache.

- Irving, TX, USA

Nov 112005

Beetle 4-cyl

Any time I turn on my air conditioner it sounds like my car is going to blow up. Cold air comes out, but the noise and the shaking of my car scares me. It started about 4 months ago. I would have the ac on and if my car was idling the noise would start up and my car would vibrate, it felt like my car was idling very heavily. It sounded like a jack hammer. Now, it happens just when I turn the air on, but it's even louder than before. Also I hear the jack hammer sound when the air is not on and hasn't been turned on at all when my car is at a stop or when I turn the car off. I don't have the money to fix it so I haven't even bothered to take it in anywhere to get it fixed. On top of it all, I can't put my windows down because in Nov '05 my passenger side window disconnected from the track. After a couple of months I started to get the feeling the driver side window was not too far behind with it doing the same. Sure enough, this past April, it did the deed. I called the dealership about this to see if fixing it would be covered under warranty, but because my warranty was either 5 years or 60,000 miles and my car being about 62,000 miles was told it was no longer under warranty. I do not have the money to fix this car, I've been having a tough time just paying for the car itself and fighting with Volkswagen credit about this.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 042004

Beetle 4-cyl

Transmission replaced three times, still not working properly, lunges into forward and reverse, and will drop into and out of high and low gear when driving. Sunroof leaked because the drainage tubing was not connected at factory causing water damage to leather seats and now mold is growing inside of vehicle, making it difficult to be inside and have had one sinus infection already.

- Fresno, CA, USA