2013 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Beetle:

2013 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

Sep 132016

Takata recall on 8/13/16 while driving this vehicle without warning, the engine shuts off. I was traveling about 45 mph on a city street and as I attempt to move over the engine shut off and I could not steer the vehicle. After coming to a complete stop I was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle did this several more times before I was to send it back to the car lot. I was told that the crank shaft was repaired on the vehicle. On 9/13/2016 (1month later) while traveling South on a busy city street at approximately 45 mph, in front of an 18 wheeler this car shut of and immediately restarted on its very own. I moved over to a slower lane to prevent any accidents. I proceeded to my destination and without any warning the vehicle engine shut off again, only this time I had to manually restart the vehicle. I parked the car at an area restaurant for at least 2 hours. I went out to start the car and there was no power at all. I called tripe aaa, they checked the battery and the car still would not start. Finally a tow truck was dispatched and arrived about 15 mins after the battery check and all lights were own. In about 10 mins I attempted to start the vehicle and it started without any hesitation. I have not driven the vehicle since because I absolutely fear for my safety.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 032016

1. vehicle was stationary in my drive way (and on several occasions, parked in a lot), convertible roof stalls upon opening. You have to stop pressing button and try again. Eventually it starts again and opens. VW service unable to replicate. They grease the equipment involved hoping it corrects the problem. 2. when car was new, not windshield wiper problems were noted. After a year the drivers side squirts out in such a way that the wiper doesn't get wet enough to clean window, thus leaving blurry streaks that impedes driver's side vision. Passenger side ok. Took car in 2 times, they say they adjust spray. Problem still there even after replacing wipers with brand new (volkswagon brand) wipers. Just had the spray fixed again last week. Afraid to see if it is any better. Will write another report if problem persists. Had convertible top gears greased again last week. I wonder if hot weather is effecting the top to open?

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Mar 112016

Trunk latch intermittently does not operate. Vehicle has electronic keyless locks and ignition.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Mar 102016

The trunk latch does not work intermittently. The vehicle has keyless electronic locks. Brought to dealer but the latch works fine. When this occurs, the trunk is not accessible unless someone crawls not the the trunk via the back seat. Condition has been intermittent since purchase.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Sep 232015

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Beetle. The contact stated that the radio was not working properly. When activated, the radio prompted the contact for a code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 272015

We were driving home in our 2013 Volkswagen Beetle convertible when the engine died causing a lack of steering control. This is actually the second time this has happened with this vehicle. My wife is pregnant and I have lost confidence in this car being able to move my family around safely. I have searched online and others have had similar issues. The dealers are not able to "duplicate" the issue so they send you away with an unsafe vehicle. Hopefully this does not wind up being a situation similar to GM where people have to lose their lives before the issues are corrected.

- Howell, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Beetle 4-cyl

Car would stall and abruptly stop when operating and all engine and electrical functions and safety features would turn off and not work (e.g., engine, assisted brakes, air bags, horn, running lights, brake lights, hazard lights, entire dashboard would not work). About 10 minutes later, the car would power up again and run. The problem was intermittent (it happened again) and neither the manufacturer nor dealer could find the cause. The owner refused to drive it anymore unless they found the cause because the abrupt stopping could be catastrophic on the highway. The current position of the manufacturer and dealer is that it never happened. Another case is reported here where the same car abruptly stopped three times and the manufacturer and dealer could not find the cause.

- Westport, CT, USA

Jun 262014

Beetle 5-cyl

Car stalls and looses power while driving. 3rd incident on car. Dealer and manufacture can't find any issue to repair.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 012013

There is a delay between when the horn button is pressed and when it sounds. That's a hazard and makes no sense.

- Canton, CT, USA