8.8

2014 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Beetle:

2014 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments

May 012015

Beetle

Exterior door locks failed to open when pulling on the exterior door handle. Using just the proximity rf keyfob, passenger doors, trunk, and gas filler door were disabled. Then pressed the buttons on the keyfob, nothing. After 5 minutes of pulling, pressing, panic button, finally the trunk released. After that, everything was back to normal. This occurs weekly, but usually doesn't last so long.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 022014

Beetle

The new 2014 Beetle I purchased at heritage Volkswagen of reisterstown, Maryland has left me stranded 3 times since I brought it home. The first time was in front of my house. I put the key in the ignition with the brake pressed, seatbelt buckled, and all doors closed. The key would not turn in the ignition. I was unable to go anywhere. I was given a key and told that the second key had been misplaced and as soon as they found it they would send it to me. I just received it this week. The second time I was stranded was at the columbia mall. The same thing happened and after about 20 minutes, it started. The third time was at my school. It was week before last, one of the hottest days of the summer. I had an appointment after school and so I got out a few minutes early. I got into a 120 degree car and the same thing happened. The windows would not roll down and shutting the door, buckling up, and pressing the brake, the key would not turn in the ignition. I was sweating through all my clothes and feeling panicked. I am 63 and have owned a PT CRUISER for over 12 years and wanted a new car for peace of mind that I would not be stranded one day if my pt didn't start. Now I am afraid to drive the Beetle because I don't know if it will start or not. I have an appointment for the 30 day check tomorrow, which is the earliest I could take it in, but just got a bill for $115 for diagnostics. I was told that the first month check was a courtesy, to see if there are any concerns. The car is brand new!! anything wrong with it should be covered with no charge. I am so disappointed and furious and feel that I have been sold a lemon. After reading several posts, by other owners, this appears to be a problem that many VW owners are having. I should have been made aware of this problem when I was looking at the Beetle on the lot.

- Ellicott City , MD, USA

Mar 052014

Beetle 4-cyl Diesel

The vehicle is equipped with manual transmission and keyless ignition. This is an unsafe combination should the car be stalled. When the start button is pushed and I have failed to get the clutch pedal all the way to the bottom the car won't start. Now the button must be pushed once to turn the ignition off, once more to turn the ignition on and yet a third time to engage the starter and hopefully the clutch pedal is fully engaged. All of this happening while in panic mode as you observe autos coming at you. A manual transmission vehicle should have a starter button separate from the ignition switch. For background I am 60 years old and have driven standard shift cars my entire life and have never encountered such a problem. I believe the clutch lockout feature should be disabled in a vehicle with this combination or a separate starter button be provided. I am convinced I will die in this car either as a result of a crash or heart attack.

- Lancaster, CA, USA