2007 Volkswagen GTI seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Volkswagen GTI:

2007 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Mar 172016

GTI

I've already spoken with VW of America, and the dealership my husband and I purchased this vehicle from. But yesterday 03/17/2016 at approx 420am my husband was driving the Gti to work. It was pouring down rain and made it very difficult to see. A txdot light pole fell on the highway and my husband had no time to stop until he was just about to hit it. After hitting the light pole he went air born, landed on all 4 tires and fish tailed. After he tried to regain control of the vehicle, it flipped to the passenger side and rolled to the roof, when the vehicle came to a stop it was on the driver side. He was going about 30-40 mph if that. What blows my mind is the minute the vehicle flipped and landed on the passenger side which crushed the doors and frame near windshield. The air bags never deployed. Not side, not front. Nothing. He walked away after crawling out the sunroof. But his hands are cut up and he is extremely sore on the right side. But the air bags never deployed. And mind you the radiator and intercooler fell out after he hit the pole and landed!!!!!!

- Benbrook, TX, USA

Mar 262014

GTI 4-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 40 mph when another vehicle ran a stop sign. I T-boned the other vehicle. The front of my car impacted the front passenger fender and door of the other vehicle. I did not have time to apply the brake, only enough to let off of the gas pedal before the collision occurred. I was wearing my seat belt at the time of the accident. My vehicle was not drivable and sustained front end damage and engine compartment damage. My airbags did not deploy even though I was traveling at 40 mph.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 012012

GTI

The contact owns a 2007 Volkswagen Gti. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the air bag was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who offered to cover half of the repair cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Losgatos, CA, USA

Jan 102008

GTI

The contact owns a 2007 Volkswagen Gti. When a passenger is seated in the front passenger seat, the air bag sensor light constantly illuminates and displays "passenger side air bag is off". the dealer stated that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The replacement was made, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the seat tensioner was replaced. The failure persisted as well. While driving less than 60 mph, the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The weather stripping on the passenger side was replaced three times, in addition to the sunroof once. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for repairs. The failure mileage was 10,000 and current mileage was 41,000.

- Banger, PA, USA

Nov 262007

GTI

The contact owns a 2007 Volkswagen Gti. Sporadically, the air bag and engine warning lights illuminated on the instrument control panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on ten occasions and they replaced the intake manifold sensors, the rear seal in the trunk, the sun roof assembly, and the seat belt position sensor. Immediately after the repairs were made, the failures recurred. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 12,000 and current mileage was 34,000.

- Bangor, PA, USA

Jun 052008

GTI 4-cyl

As typical of vws, my complaint is not a single major one, but a laundry list of minor failures and incompetence of dealership service departments. The largest two complaints deal with the airbag system and the subframe.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Jun 072007

GTI 4-cyl

I have taken my 2007 Volkswagen Gti in 3 times for airbag related issues. After 3 repair attempts and replacing the entire airbag system, the airbag light still comes on at random occasions. When the light is illuminated, all airbag systems are disabled and this is a serious safety issue. I am currently filing for arbitration with the BBB because my car is a lemon.

- Glendale, CA, USA