2.0

2009 Volkswagen GTI electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Nov 012015

GTI

Failed ABS module which makes speedometer, ABS, traction control not work intermittently.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 192016

GTI

ABS module failure at 88K miles. Multiple fault codes presents with constant beeping and an error message reading " engine fault! workshop! in the heads up display (epc, emergency brake, electronic steering assist off, traction control off fault codes). This is a safety feature failure that can result in loss of power steering, antilock braking system functionality, and traction control at the same time. The failure of this module represents a serious danger to occupants in the vehicle as the safety features are disabled due to the failure of this crucial part. This can happen at any speed while driving/turning.

- Leander, TX, USA

Apr 202016

GTI

When driving the car, a lot of the warning lights flash out of nowhere. The ABS light, traction, power steering, epc lights all flash. I also lose power steering. On top of that, the speedometer does not work. This happens abruptly and sometimes at high speeds. It is extremely dangerous. From what I've read, it is the ABS module failing. This seems to be a common problem of 09 Gtis and needs to be recalled!

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Mar 282016

GTI

My ABS pump & module were determined to need replacement. Searching online, it seems a large number of people with the 2009 model are having this issue. I was quoted at $2200 to fix it. I was driving on a city street to a restaurant after my wedding and the ABS, traction control and brake lights all came on. Days later the car started to rev weird and the speedometer would not work.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 042016

GTI

Just last week my Gti started having electrical problems and soon realized most 2009 Gtis eventually have this problem with their ABS control modules. Solid ABS, solid power steering light, solid check engine light, solid traction control, and flashing "brake" lights would illuminate on the dashboard occasionally upon turning on the vehicle, accompanied by 3 audible beeps. Then, the ABS, traction control, brake, epc, steering, and check engine lights began to come on while driving. ABS and traction control stay illuminated, while the epc, steering, check engine, and brake lights come on intermittently, accompanied by 3 audible beeps. The message "engine fault - workshop!" also shows up on the message display center in the dash. Steering feels a bit stiff. The dealer has indicated an internal fault in the ABS control module.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 072016

GTI

For several weeks, solid ABS, solid traction control, and flashing "brake" lights would illuminate on the dashboard occasionally upon turning on the vehicle, accompanied by 3 audible beeps. Then, the ABS, traction control, brake, epc, steering, and check engine lights began to come on while driving. ABS and traction control stay illuminated, while the epc, steering, check engine, and brake lights come on intermittently, accompanied by 3 audible beeps. The message "engine fault - workshop!" also shows up on the message display center in the dash. In addition, while the car is in motion, the speedometer will repeatedly alternate between the actual speed reading and a reading of 0 mph. When the speedometer drops to 0 mph, the engine rpms increase. Finally, the car sputters and bucks when attempting to accelerate rapidly, and steering feels a bit stiff. The dealer has indicated an internal fault in the ABS control module.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 262015

GTI

When braking hard today (it was raining and I got cut off by a distracted driver) my car went into a (barely) controlled skid. ABS, esp. Steering wheel lights all flashing with three beeps. The lights went away when I turned the car off/on. My wife is 7 months pregnant, and was with me in the car. I'm not impressed with what I'm reading online regarding the sheer volume of others experiencing complete ABS failure. Someone is going to get killed if VW doesn't recall the malfunctioning control module. I've booked my car in for service next week. I truly hope VW steps up and finally accepts responsibility for this life-saving repair. Ps I'm in british columbia, Canada (victoria).

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 122015

GTI

ABS and traction control warning lights on the dash had intermittently appeared on several occasion over the past three months while driving at various speeds and conditions. The warning lights would stay on until I turned the car off. Once restarted the lights would be off. On 12-Aug-15 the same warning lights came on when I started the car. They remained on after turning the car off and restarting. Three warning beeps were then heard at several minute intervals until I reach my destination. Other warning lights came on briefly then went out. I was informed by a mechanic that the ABS control module had failed. Based on an internet search I understand this is a common issue with the 2009 VW Gti.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 012015

GTI

ABS warning light started coming on. Then a warning light that the right, rear turn signal had failed. One week later the entire dashboard is covered in warning lights, including a "faulty engine workshop" warning light. It appears that ABS control module has failed, leaving me with no ABS braking on a well maintained, 50K mile car. This seems to be rampant problem with the tsi mkv Gti at this mileage. VW of America offered me no assistance. VW should recall this part before they see any accidents lead to serious injuries.

- Evanston, IL, USA

May 222015

GTI

The ABS module failure has been reported many times online. The module will fail causing ABS, traction control, power steering, and engine lights to all come on. Much of the dashboard is lit now. The car reads "engine fault workshop" and the speedometer will drop to 0 mph. The fuel gauge will change from empty to 3/4 to 1/2 while driving. Audible beeps are heard from dash.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Nov 182014

GTI

While driving North on I-895 at 55 mph, nearly all of my warning lights appeared on the dashboard, along with "engine fault workshop" on the mass display. The VW dealership indicated that it was the ABS control module. Upon research online, this appears to be a common issue with 2009 VW Gti's. some have reported that the their brakes have completely locked up on them. I called Volkswagen of America, and they deny any issues with this.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Nov 052014

GTI 4-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, multiple dashboard lights indicating loss of traction control, anti-lock brakes, and power steering were illuminated. This then caused issues because those systems are not working while the speedometer (would stay at 0mph when driving) and the fuel gauge (moved around randomly from 1/4 to 3/4 full). Looking into this issue I found that several owners of the same make, model, and year have had the exact problem as me.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Aug 292014

GTI

Airbag fault indicator is erroneously present. Now the airbags are not active even with passengers onboard. Dealership us asking me to pay the 55 dollars to get the light reset for the airbags to work.

- Athens, GA, USA

Aug 012014

GTI

Faulty ABS control module for 2009 models of the Volkswagen Gti. As a result of the faulty ABS control module, it causes all kinds of other errors in my car, shown in the dashboard. Some are ABS disabled, traction control/esp disabled, check engine light illuminated, emergency brake lights illuminated, hydraulic steering gone, speedometer drops to 0 (can't tell what how fast I'm driving anymore), etc. With all these problems happening as a result of a faulty ABS control module, how is this issue not addressed yet" why hasn't there been a recall for this put out yet" this will definitely result in an accident either for me, or one of the many others who own 2009 VW Gti models in the future, and I hope that it will not have to come to this before VW does a recall on this.

- Apo, AE, USA

Aug 012011

GTI 4-cyl

I bought this VW Gti 2009 in 01/2009. Since last summer, the engine start to have issues when trying to turn it on. Here is what happens: When the engine temperature is cool, it has no problem to turn it on. But when the engine is already warmed up (e.g., after drive 15 min on the freeway), and you turn it off. Then there is >50% chance it won't get started when you try to turn it on again. If this happens, I might have to try a couple of times then it can get the engine started. I have been to two different VW dealers for several times, neither can identify what's the root cause. In my last visit, I showed them how to reproduce the problem, and I left the car for a couple of days. But they told me that they cannot reproduce the problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 092008

GTI

I have a 2009 VW Gti that is only 3 months old. The rear brakelight in the spoiler is filled with moisture and does not go away. I would like to be able to change this bulb out easily when it fails because it will if moisture remains trapped. However the factory manual warns that this is a multi-day job and may result in a broken spoiler and possible body damage. This appears to be a violation of FMVSS 108 which requires that replacing the bulbs be simple and require only common tools. This is an issue on all 2006 - 2009 VW Gti and R32 cars.

- Apo, AE, USA