2009 Volkswagen GTI engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Jan 032015

Secondary air injection hose found taped after VW warranty expired. Had taken car in several times to the woodland hills VW dealership after the upc and check engine light appeared to no avail.

- Encino, CA, USA

Apr 242015

GTI 4-cyl

I purchased my 2009 Gti Feb 2015 and the carfax was great; however, the ABS control module randomly failed about two months later causing lose of steering and control, this occurred while driving in traffic and it was very scary. Loud warning beeps went off and warning lights started flashing. The warning lights continued flashing until I turned it off. When I restarted the engine, the warning lights were no longer lit and drove it home. I tested my car again minutes after arriving home. It seemed fine, but then it happened again after just a minute of driving it. I took it to the VW dealer service center. They diagnosed the issue to be the ABS module. It needs to be replaced and the cost is $2,260. I called VW and they do not cover the repair costs. This needs to be addressed immediately considering the numerous complaints and the danger this malfunction imposes.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 082014

I was driving on the highway when I reached a speed of 55 mph when my check engine light came on. I took it to a mechanic where the guy told me that the intake manifold had gone bad. I've read multiple threads online and this seems to be a common factor in 2009 Gti's it also says they may have extended the warranty for 10yr/120K miles.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Dec 112014

GTI 4-cyl

While traveling at 55 mph in sixth gear on the New York state thruway, I suddenly lost power and the engine abruptly turned off. I consequently quickly decelerated and was almost rearended before being able to turn onto the shoulder. I smelled a burning odor and got out of my car. Eventually, the VW dealership advised me that the #2 coil had failed and caught fire. Consequently, the wiring harness for the ignition coil and plastic cover surrounding the coil had been destroyed by the fire. This is the second incident involving an ignition coil on this vehicle. Approximately 12 months ago, the #4 ignition coil failed leading to rapid deceleration as I was driving. This appears to be a chronic problem with the ignition coils that may result in otherwise avoidable accidents.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Faulty ABS control module for 2009 models of the Volkswagen Gti. As a result of the faulty ABS control module, it causes all kinds of other errors in my car, shown in the dashboard. Some are ABS disabled, traction control/esp disabled, check engine light illuminated, emergency brake lights illuminated, hydraulic steering gone, speedometer drops to 0 (can't tell what how fast I'm driving anymore), etc. With all these problems happening as a result of a faulty ABS control module, how is this issue not addressed yet" why hasn't there been a recall for this put out yet" this will definitely result in an accident either for me, or one of the many others who own 2009 VW Gti models in the future, and I hope that it will not have to come to this before VW does a recall on this.

- Apo, AE, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Gti. The contact stated that while traveling between 40-60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted after the failure. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times where the dealer confirmed that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,600 and the current mileage was 47,000.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 012011

GTI 4-cyl

I bought this VW Gti 2009 in 01/2009. Since last summer, the engine start to have issues when trying to turn it on. Here is what happens: When the engine temperature is cool, it has no problem to turn it on. But when the engine is already warmed up (e.g., after drive 15 min on the freeway), and you turn it off. Then there is >50% chance it won't get started when you try to turn it on again. If this happens, I might have to try a couple of times then it can get the engine started. I have been to two different VW dealers for several times, neither can identify what's the root cause. In my last visit, I showed them how to reproduce the problem, and I left the car for a couple of days. But they told me that they cannot reproduce the problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA