3.7

2011 Volkswagen GTI brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen GTI:

2011 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Mar 042014

GTI 4-cyl

I was driving no a downhill incline picking up speed but no more than 40 mph. I had my daughter in the back of my car, and realized the brakes were not working the way they should. I have a standard shift car and downshifted quickly from 6th gear to 3rd gear and had to put my whole weight on the brake to stop the car and kept my hand on the E-brake as my last resort. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the experience was not a good one. I took it to the dealership to have it checked. The tech stated it was the brakebooster and a pin within the pump that came loose. I asked him if it was a user error, he said no, but had replaced the "brake booster" with a brand new one. It was under warranty, but something like this I feel should not fail at 34K miles, especially when I have valuable passengers sitting in the car.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA