3.3

2012 Volkswagen GTI miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen GTI:

2012 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments

Nov 162016

GTI

Sunroof exploded like a gun shot while traveling on the freeway 60 mph. Had just entered express lane and found it very disorienting and distracting since I thought I had been shot at. Had to check all the windows and my person for glass or injury before I looked up and saw the large hole in the sunroof. Sunroof glass appears to be protruding outward - like it was pushed out from the interior. Not all the glass chips recovered inside the car appear to equal the area of the hole in the sunroof.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Jan 272014

GTI

In the first incident dated 1/27/2014, the blade holder broke off the ignition key. My VW dealer replaced the ignition key under warranty. In the second incident dated 7/23/2015 (62800 miles), the key blade holder broke off again, all of a sudden, while I was driving. Obviously, the key blade remained inside the ignition switch, while the remote part of the key fell off. I was not far from home so I could drive back and extract the key blade easily with nose pliers. I contacted the dealership and they stated I have to talk to VW America for a key replacement. I was hinted that other owners had similar problems. I believe the steel used for the blade holder (it's like a casing) is brittle and fatigues abnormally.

- Orlando, FL, USA