2.9

2010 Volkswagen Golf fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Golf:

2010 Volkswagen Golf Owner Comments

Dec 202015

Golf

Engine failure on road. Service is claiming it is a fuel pump issue.... high pressure fuel pump.

- Montville, NJ, USA

Dec 242014

Golf

While driving the vehicle simply shut off. I turned on hazzards, put car into park, restarted, put car back into drive and drove away. This was on the I-35 frontage road and I could have easily been rearended / killed. Happened one other time on the bqe in New York several months prior. After the first incident I was told by the authorized service dept. "probably a glitch, won't happen again." Waiting for a third incident where I'm not so lucky.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 222014

Golf 4-cyl

I was stopped at a red light preparing to make a left hand turn when I noticed that the engine started making a rattling noise. After the light turned green, I proceeded to make my turn and after exiting the intersection the vehicle started to hesitate and eventually stalled. I pulled to the side of the road safely and tried to restart the vehicle but it would not start. I called aaa and my local VW dealer and had the car towed there for repair. I was told that the high pressure diesel fuel pump failed and that it would be replaced as a "goodwill" by VW since my car was just out of the 5 year 60K warranty. To my knowledge, the entire fuel system was replaced with the exception of the fuel tank itself which was cleaned. Everything was taken care of by VW with no charge to me, and a loaner car was provided.

- Duarte, CA, USA

Nov 172012

Golf 4-cyl Diesel

I have a 2010 VW Golf tdi. I was driving along at 25 mph when my glow plug & check engine lights started flashing, and my tachometer dropped to zero, indicating a stall. The power steering also started to cut out, but I was able to safely pull over. Tried starting the car again and got nothing. The car was towed to a VW dealership down the street, and on Monday 11/19 they informed me that my high-pressure fuel pump failed and sent metal fragments through the entire fuel system. The car is currently being repaired under warranty, but I was told that the bill would be at least $5,000 for this kind of fix. Oh yeah, this also completely ruined my travel plans for thanksgiving, as VW refused to give me a loaner car while this documented warranty issue was being dealt with. After doing some research, I found that there are several cases of 2009-10 tdi fuel pump failures with the same symptoms. Apparently, there have been three revisions of this pump since then, and I am due to get the newest one. But, there is also talk that ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel in the us is not providing the proper lubricity, and thus causing the pumps to fail (this is not an issue in europe). Nonetheless, further investigation by the NHTSA should result in VW doing a proper recall and redesign, rather than quietly fixing an inherent flaw on a case-by-case basis. Even with my car fixed, I'll still be wondering when this will happen again. Which also makes me wonder if I should just sell it and be done with VW. Very frustrating.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Oct 182012

Golf 4-cyl Diesel

Check engine light went on a few seconds after I had merged a few lanes over on the freeway (101S @holly during rush hour). Glow plug light flashed once or twice. Within 60 seconds, the car had died while traffic was speeding up on both sides of me. Put on emergency flashers. I could not get the car started again, nor did I have enough time to merge to the side of the road (I had 2 lanes on my right, 2 on my left). After trying to start it for a minute or so, called 911. After 10 - 15 minutes, chp came and stopped all traffic, pushed me to the side of the road with his car. Car still would not start. Tow truck came a while later, towed me to VW dealer (boardwalk) which was nearby. Dealer: Boardwalk Volkswagen, redwood city, ca status: Fixed under warranty. Provided me rental car. Took 1 week. All in all, gave me good service. They replaced the entire fuel system. Here is what they did under warranty (per the receipt): * replaced high pressure fuel pump * replaced auxiliary fuel pump * replaced fuel filter housing and filter * replaced all injector lines * replaced 4 injectors * replaced fuel rail * removed and reinstalled fuel pump inside gas tank * drain and refill diesel * road tested recheck ok * vendor code (Bosch) and (cbf) not a very opportune time for a catastrophic failure, while cruising on the busy rush-hour highway, and it happened very fast. Nevertheless, no one was injured, and the car is now back on the road. I know several people with these cars of this vintage, and I will encourage them to contact VW to try and replace the pump before it fails. On the triclub forum, there are examples of this same thing happening 100S of times to these cars. Here is my entry: forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?P=3978779 someone on the forum encouraged me to file an incident with NHTSA, so I am doing that here.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Oct 062012

Golf 4-cyl Diesel

Entering the freeway and a high speed, engine light and ignition coil light appeared when I reached the end of the on-ramp. Lost all propulsion 30 seconds later; the vehicle would not accelerate. Vehicle coasted to a stop on the shoulder, but barely made it since I had to move several lanes over and avoid traffic going around me. If I was moving slower, I would have been stranded on one of the lanes. There have been many other cases of the high pressure fuel pump failure for the turbo diesel engine, my vehicle is just another one.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jun 212012

Golf 4-cyl

Found metal shavings in fuel filter housing which will lead to the eventual failure of the hpfp and could become a potential hazard on the road. There was no failure yet but I just wanted this to be recorded as there are numerous other failures of this sort which could lead to more severe accidents.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Jan 072012

Golf 4-cyl Diesel

Upon changing my fuel filter, a large amount of metal flakes were discovered in the fuel housing. They seemed to be linked to the high pressure fuel pump. VW had to replace due to a failure starting in the high pressure pump.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA