1998 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta:

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Dec 281999

My lights, wipers and heat wouldn't work, discovered it was the ignition switch. Contacted VW, and dealer, they want to charge me too much to fix it. I know 3 other people with Jettas that had the same problem. Obviously VW is installing defective ignitions. My emergency brake wasn't releasing, took it to dealer and they informed me that I had a torn brake cable boot that was allowing moisture to get in and freeze my cable. The 2 yr/24,000 mile warranty was expired. My check engine light started going on and off, when I took it to the dealer, it took them 3 times to figure out it's the rear oxygen sensor. This is the first brand new car I have ever purchased and I have had more things wrong with it than I ever had with previously owned vehicles.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Feb 011999

Brakes make high pitched noise during stops.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 171998

Brakes perform poorly resulting in them making noise when braking.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Sep 191998

Jetta Diesel

1) when the steering failed it could hav E caused a fatal accident 2) when the brakes failed again it could have caused a fatal accident. 3) when the oil light indicated that there was no oil the motor could have locked up, causing a fatal accident. I find the above problems very serious. I bought the VW Jetta new 09/12/98 with 15 miles on the odometer. Thank you bill hamann.

- Corvallis, OR, USA