1998 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta:

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jul 112012

Jetta Wolfsberg 2.0L V4

The local PepBoys wanted $90 for labor on this part but it was very easy to replace. On YT, it mentions some people even cleaning it. Had I known that, I would have tried that first. The reason that I need this part replaced is to pass the CA smog test. The engine light is coming on and reporting an error code that says the MAF sensor is bad. I cleared the code and hope that is the last of the error codes that keep popping up before I get it smogged.

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Nov 302005

Jetta GLS

Ok, My car has been down for 1 month and finally got my mechanic to get it to the shop to figure out what was going on with the vehicle. 1st it was the Distributor cap and plugs were bad. Now I just got a call from him today and he is now saying that when he hooks the car up to the computer it is reading that the "Mass Air Flow" is bad or whatever. And the cost of it is around $1,000.00 just for the part. I am not that good with cars and just wanted to see if anyone can help me out and see if I am getting ripped off or if this "Mass Air Flow" part really does cost $1,000.00. I called my local VW dealership and the person told me that it is a sensor and it should only cost $200.00 for the part. So please if anyone has any idea or actually know how much this part costs and what causes this to malfunction I would greatly appreciate it a lot!!

- , Canonsburg, PA, USA