4.9

2001 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 092009

Jetta

There were no events leading up to the failure. The epc light comes on sporadically, thus making you lose power in the middle of traffic. It is very scary when you have no power in rush hour traffic and you have to pull the car over and restart hoping the light will go off until you can get to your destination. The check engine light stays on all the time for apparently no reason. We have had it diagnosed but with no results. Help!!

- Springfield, MO, USA

May 062008

Jetta

The contact owns a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact started the ignition and the engine warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicator remained lit until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic ten times and they stated that the failure was related to the air filter sensor. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and current mileage was 42,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 302008

Jetta

2001 VW Jetta epc light comes on alot. This should be recalled by the manufacturer. Car slows down to 20 mph or less. Have seen complaints that the car completely shuts down. This is unsafe or myself and my 2 small children.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jun 102008

Jetta

I own a 2001 VW Jetta gls VR6. Since I have owned this car I have had problems with it. I am a young woman in the military and am in full time school, so I don't have the money to run around and fix it as much as I have been forced to do. First my gas gauge went out three months after buying it $600(under warranty) then a month later O2 sensor $300(non warranty). Then it was the catalytic converter$1500(non warranty) wiring system$1000(of course non warranty) windows wont roll up without rolling down again and sometimes get stuck$700(non warranty) cruise control went out$845 (non warranty), windshield wiper motor... stationed in Alaska and couldn't go without that $750(non warranty) now my secondary air pump is out and I was quoted $1294 from private mechanic and $1400 from VW. Also the cruise is still out and the windows are doing the same again. I have talked to many people in the same boat I have been in with so many repairs. Is there anything that can be done to stop VW from making faulty parts and charging an arm and a leg? I feel though that if it is brought up to you that my voice will be heard, because when I call the volkwagen customer service and complaints I get nowhere.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 152001

Jetta 4-cyl

Numerous problems with 2001 VW Jetta, purchased new in June, 2001.including : windows sporadically malfunctioning (when I called VW corporate as well as my local dealer, I was told that after the dealer evaluated problem I could be responsible for the labor charge depending on the outcome of their diagnosis!!); trunk latch has been replaced once (out of warranty) and now latch does not respond to remotes nor to the inside release on driver door; driver door lock does not respond to remotes nor to control on driver door (the other three door locks are presently functioning); interior coating on plastic door handles and center console began to peel within six months of delivery; center console latch broke long ago; check engine light comes on/off sporadically (brought car to certified mechanic but problem undiagnosed); a wax substance was constantly running into doorwells; VW dealer replaced coil, cables and buffer in response to rough engine idle complaint and I incurred all costs and inconvenience of car in shop, this at 72,000 miles, hazard lights malfunctioned; turn signals malfunctioned; now I hear of a brake light recall and an emergency light switch problem. I am just realizing recently that I am not alone with my Jetta problems, that numerous jjetta owners are having the same problems ( I researched on internet). VW customer service not helpful at all in resolving these problems.

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 282005

Jetta 4-cyl

My brake lights are constantly going out. I will replace the left and then a month or so later I have to replace the right, or the center brake light or the license plate light. I am replacing about 4-5 lights per year on the rear of the vehicle. Also numerous electrical problems. 1/2 of the interior lights are no longer working, and when I unlock the car it will automatically lock on me within 15 seconds unless I start the engine.

- Rochester, NH, USA

May 152007

Jetta

2001 Volkswagen Jetta customer wants to know if it has recalls on it* the consumer stated the vehicle has been repaired 3 times for a light that keeps going out.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Jan 242007

Jetta 6-cyl

While leaving to run errands with my 1 year old child in the carmy 2001 Jetta glx VR6 started losing power as if it would stall. The check engine light and emissions warning lights came on. When the vehicle was taken to mckenna VW they said I had a bad ignition coil, wires, and spark plugs. While researching the problem I found that this is an epidemic level issue with 2001 Jettas. A VW press release contained information that they were issuing a recall, however VW refused to include my car in the recall for reasons they will not disclose. They are selectively choosing which cars to fix, although this problem is very wide spread among all their vehicles. Please investigate this issue as consumers are getting faced with $1100 bills for each ignition coil defect - I believe mine has 6. this is only the first one, however I've read other complaints that multiple coils are failing causing near-accidents.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 162004

Jetta

Owner was driving the Volkswagen and observed smoke coming out of the dash vents and from underneath the dash. Vehicle caught fire and fd responded and extinguished fire. Fire then erupted again and fd personnel cut the battery cables. Fire originated at center of dash behind radio and climate control panel.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Mar 072004

Jetta

Owner was driving Volkswagen and noticed sparks coming from the glovebox area. He pulled over, opened the glovebox, but saw only smoke. He then opened the hood and observed flames on the left side of the bulkhead/firewall. Fire burned throughout the passenger compartment, the front undercarriage, and part of the engine compartment. Cause undetermined.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Sep 182006

Jetta 4-cyl

We purchased our 2001 Jetta 1.8L turbo wolfsburg edition in Jan of 2003 from a certified used VW dealer. When we drove off the lot, not 5 minutes later, the turbo seemed to fail and we began to lose power, epc light came on, check engine light came on. We immediately took car back to dealer and they fixed problem. Everything ran fine until Sept 2003 our check engine light came on, shortly after we received notice that there had been a recall regarding ignition coils. We took our vehicle to a local dealership where they replaced the coils free of charge. This solved the light issue for a couple of months, then it came back on again, this time when idling fluctuating between 700 RPM and about 1500 RPM and stalling on occasion. We took the car to a local garage and they ran a diagnostics, cleared the failures to see if that solved the problem, which it did temporarily...ever since we have been running diagnostics trying to determine why our check engine light keeps coming on, each time the problem is temporarily solved. At first the mechanic thought it was the airflow sensor, but once they looked closer determined it was a different problem. We have had corrosion removed, connections cleaned, and our lambda sensor replaced. Now our car continues to run and idle poorly and sporadically, the car stalls when you slow, the turbo works on occasion, losses power when accelerating, when car first starts it barely moves with accelerator floored, brakes are very sluggish, sometimes really having to push to get car to stop. No one seems to know what the problem is. Everytime we take it in multiple errors pop up, last time there was 17 fault codes, mechanic keeps going down the list of what to check hoping to find the problem. The bill just keeps getting bigger and nothing has been solved. Recently think that the original issue and current issues are one in the same as symptoms are becoming more similar. Help!

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 222006

Jetta 4-cyl

I have a 2001 volkswagan Jetta. At least 2 or 3 times, I had my epc light switch came on on the dashboard. Each time, I had to pay out of my pockets to get it fix. When the epc light comes on, I cannot get the gear out of park. I have to constantly pump on my brakes to get it out of park. This can take anywhere from 3 minutes to an hour. I seriously believe that there is a defect with this product. I ask other volkswagan owners and they also said that their epc light comes on occasionally.

- Miami, FM, USA

Jun 122006

Jetta 4-cyl

Cel light would turn on and off. Car started to idle bad, sometimes it would not move when cold even with gas fully depressed. Then the car began to stall while driving. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the maf but the symptoms are still here and the car is returning to the shop today. I have read many, many accounts of the same issue.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Feb 202006

Jetta 4-cyl

I purchased a 01 Volkswagen Jetta in July of 04 and in les than a month it began to stall as I was driving, so I pulled over and it could not start again. I got it towed was told it was my battery and got that replaced, then it happened again a few months later and I was told it was my alternator and got that changed. A few month ago the car would not start again, I was told it was my sensors and got that changed, within 2 months it has happened about 6 times and I've had 3 diagnostic tests that reveal nothing is wrong with the car. I don't know what else to do, al least if I know what the problem is I can fix it. But my car keeps refusing to start( for hours at a time) and everyone tells me the car is ok.

- Nmb, FL, USA

Jan 122006

Jetta 4-cyl

I have a 2001 VW Jetta. In the past two years I have had to replace both my brake lights 8 times. Including my headlights 3 times. My interior lights work and then they don't. I know I have an electrical problem. I had the car looked at once by the dealer and they said I must have bought a bad bulb! yesterday was the 8th time my brake light went out.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Sep 212005

Jetta

82,5310.00 just replaced the catalytic converter. We have always had some type of an electrical problem from the beginning. Cd player and stereo. Cd lcd panel would say no cd in which you would have a cd in the jacket if you kept pushing the button sometimes it would work. At times you can only read half the call letters for stations. Rolling down back of the windows you would hear a very loud pressure thumping noise. So loud you could not roll down the window in the back. When you would take the car in. Mechanic's always said, it was basically our imagination.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Aug 012005

Jetta

Earlier this year, there was a recall for the brake light switch on my 2001 VW Jetta. The dealership replaced this. However, within the last month, the automatic shift lock (asl) has not allowed me to shift out of park on numerous occasions. Usually, I am able to wait a minute and the asl light will go off, or I turn off the car or fiddle with the steering wheel. However, three times this past week I have gotten stuck and have had to abandon the car temporarily. The last time, I was finally able to get it out of park and drive it to my local mechanic (I had an appointment with my dealership, but I couldn't get in for a week). He noticed that my brake lights were out again, and believes that the brake light malfunction may be related to the asl malfunction. This may explain why the electronic power control (epc) light turns on whenever the asl light turns on, as it indicates a problem in the electronics. The local mechanic is currently examining the problem.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Jul 072005

Jetta 4-cyl

The consumer stated 2001 Volkswagen Jetta had problems with the lights staying on. Also had a loss power issue. Consumer took vehicle to the dealership to have this problem fixed. After the car left the dealership it ran fine for a couple of hours. Then the problem recurred.. the lights were coming back on, and the car was still losing power. The car has been to the dealership twice. The was kept in the shop for three weeks. The car was under warranty both times when the problem occurred. The consumer thought that the dealership was not fixing the car correctly. The first time the car would not go over 5 mph. Then second time it would not go over 60 mph, then it took more time than usual to get up to 60 mph. This problem happened for about 3 weeks. The manufacturer has not been contacted at this point. The dealership told the consumer that the problem was electrical.

- Quncey, MA, USA

Oct 122004

Jetta

When I activate the turn signal, right or left, the signal will blink at an irregular interval and then die. This interval is not fixed...its random. Sometimes the light will blink for a while, sometimes it will blink once and die. It's the emergency flasher switch. I have not corrected it yet. I've looked at the fuses, all are socketed properly and not blown. I've looked at all 6 lights closely, and they are working and appear to be shining with the same intensity.

- Long Branch, NJ, USA

Oct 292001

Jetta 4-cyl

Epc light came on, could not get car out of park, ABS light came on, brake light came on, epc light came on again, mil light came on, window needed to be replaced-cable assembly failed & could not operate window, turn signals became inoperable, engine cover clamp loose, radio shorted out, epc light came on (again--3rd time!!) and again could not get car out of park, battery dies and drains car due to shortage in drivers door latch assembly, air-conditioning fails. Could not drive car. Had to have brake light switch replaced 3 times!! note, car was only 2 1/2 months old upon first incident.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA