2002 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta:

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012014

Jetta

This is a followup on my NHTSA complaint with ODI 10660489. I would like to bring to your attention the NHTSA campaign id number 04V584000 which precisely describes the same problem I have encountered with my Jetta. Please note that my Jetta is also a 2002 model as noted in the above campaign.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Oct 012014

Jetta

First intermittent and then inoperative turn signal and hazard flasher function..

- Redmond, WA, USA

Oct 252014

Jetta

Faulty fuse panel in engine compartment (the one situated on top of the battery, not the panel in the cabin)

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 042013

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 262009

Jetta

I purchased a certified used vehicle in 2006 from a Volkswagen dealer in Virginia (vokswagen of dulles). Two months after the vehicle purchase, we noticed the car electrical system shut down while approaching a stop sign in reston, va. The local dealer attributed it to a fuel system problem and charged us for a ¿¿throttle body cleaning.¿ over the course of two years, we had multiple electrical shutdowns, some at high speed on the highway at night when the vehicle's headlights would go out and the engine would die. At one point the dealer reported a ¿¿loose ignition switch¿ and replaced that switch. After several more scary events, I emailed VW America with a description of the problem and our fears about the vehicle being unsafe to drive. In March 2009 I called VW customer service and talked to a regional case manager. On that day, the car had shut down in the middle of an intersection narrowly avoiding a collision. VW replaced the alternator and battery. Three months later, driving on memorial parkway (rt. 66) at night when the vehicles lights failed, the electrical system shut down and the engine died. I once again called VW customer service and was returned a call from a representative who said they would not address the problem further, that the warranty on the vehicle was over and that I had no recourse with Volkswagen for further investigation of the problem. I recently asked VW America customer service for copies of their records relating the case. They refused to give them to me, saying they were ¿¿proprietary.¿

- Jamestown, RI, USA

Aug 062014

Jetta

While driving on the freeway at approximately 70mph with a quarter tank of gas, my 2002 Jetta glx displayed the battery light and then stalled at full speed. The car slowed, the steering and gas pedal were stiff and I had to pull to the shoulder and call for a tow truck. I had the crank position sensor replaced, new spark plugs put in and the throttle body cleaned. I test drove the car and once again, the engine started to stall at around 70mph on the freeway. This time I was able to floor the accelerator and the car did not completely stall. This defect seems is incredibly dangerous and seems to be unacceptably prevalent on VW Jettas. My next part to replace is the fuel pump but it appears that that does not always remedy the problem. This should be a recall.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 192014

Jetta

The car takes 15 minutes to heat up to 190, otherwise the car won't drive forward in proper gear without jerking. It drives like it is a stick shift instead of an automatic changing gear on it's own. The car stops without me pressing the brakes and sometimes just turns off unexpectedly. It smells like gasoline in the car. The cd player, clock and vehicle electrical malfunctions on and off. The engine light stays on. Autonation performed a multi point inspection and says the car needs a timing belt, coolant flange and after run pump, and rollers.

- Delray Beach , FL, USA

Aug 072013

Jetta 4-cyl

Engine abruptly lost all power and turned off while driving down the street. No warning lights came on, and the car restarted and ran normally for 6 months. The same thing happened about 6 months later. 10 minutes after the second episode, mechanic wasn't able to find a fault code and drove it without the stall recurring.

- Lombard, IL, USA

May 152013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the battery warning light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 112013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle however, the failure recurred intermittently. Additionally, the contact noticed that the front and rear passenger's side doors would not unlock when the master door lock switch on the front driver's side door was engaged. The contact also stated that the brake warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Jetta 4-cyl

My 2002 VW Jetta tdi has many electrical problems. The one that might be a safety factor is the micro switches in the door latches. The doors with faulty switches don't know if there open or closed. When open the safety light on the door does not come on to alert oncoming vehicles that a door is open. If the switch stays on when the door is closed, the dome lights stay on until the battery is dead. The car dies in the freeway when running, it might be affecting the computer now. This has to be recall its a safety issue.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Apr 192012

Jetta 4-cyl

When backing out of my driveway my drivers side airbag deployed for no reason. I didn't hit anything. Now the engine starts then stalls. All dash lights are now out.

- Center Conway, NH, USA

Dec 262011

Jetta 4-cyl

Driver side lock switch, unable to lock my 02 Jetta with remote key. Interior light on the driver door constantly stays on.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

Dec 032011

Jetta

While driving home at night, my son and I smelled smoke. We exited the vehicle, checked under the hood, but found nothing. We continued home and parked in the garage. Still smelling smoke, we re-inspected the vehicle, but were unable to determine an origin or any visible evidence. Both seat heaters were on during the drive home, but the seats showed no visual signs of damage after parking. Next morning we opened the vehicle to discover the cabin was filled with smoke with an approximate 1"hole burned up thru the passenger seat on the lower right bolster. Apparently the seat heater initiated a thermal event which erupted in a seat fire after we turned off the ignition and parked the car in the garage. Fortunately, the fire did not engulf the vehicle or it could have caught our home on fire, resulting in possible injury or death to my family. I believe we dodged a bullet because the seat fire did not sustain itself and engulf the vehicle. VW has agreed to repair the burned seat at their expense and make a mitigation repair. However, VW has declined my request to cover any similar mitigation repair to the other seat. In October 2004, the NHTSA ODI concluded that ?driver-side seat heater may fail or malfunction due to normal vehicle use? but ?such failures do not pose a significant risk of injury or fire." The ODI stated the investigation did not conclude that a safety-related defect does not exist and the Agency will take further action if warranted by the circumstances. (EA04010) evidence and reports indicate that seat heater caused thermal events in both driver and passenger seats in the VW Jetta have been an issue for nearly 10 years now. Near misses continue to occur. I believe that a seat fire is a significant safety concern. I would encourage the NHTSA to re-examine the circumstances to determine if further action is warranted.

- Logan, UT, USA

May 312011

Jetta

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that when trying to use the turn signal they would not turn on; nor does the hazard warning lights function properly. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised her that there was an electrical failure because no fuses had blown out. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current miles were approximately 150,000.

- Rodchester, NY, USA

Nov 022009

Jetta

Vehicle shut down while driving twice, could result in car being disabled while driving at any speed any where becoming a very dangerous situation for the driver and an obstacle on the road for other drivers to try to avoid. Volkswagen dealership isolated this to a faulty harness connecting the alternator tothe fuse located on top of the battery. The harness and the fuse box had to be replaced. The dealership said this problem is only common to VW beatles and VW Jetta, because they said the car was 2002 it was out of warranty not covered. I was more concerned of the safety of life and property this problem would cause. I filed a complaint with the attorney general john krogers office in Oregon, they sent me a letter stating they had forwarded this complaint to the national highway traffic safety admin in Washington DC. I tried to contact them by phone, they asked if I had a confirmation #. I haven't as of yet received a letter or phone call.

- Cheshire, OR, USA

Jun 012008

Jetta

Battery continues to drain over night. Changing batteries did not solve the problem. Online forum points to radio draining the battery. Pulling fuse and resetting radio tends to stop the process, but then it returns after a couple of days.

- Farmersville, TX, USA

Sep 092009

Jetta

1. 2002 VW Jetta wagon electrical system failure on expressway caused vehicle to stop & unable to start 9/6/09. Vehicle towed to dealer. 2. VW dealer failure description, wire harness corrosion caused restriction in power flow in line which caused alternator to overwork and overheat wire harness and fuse panel. This extensive enough to cause melting of both wire harness and fuse panel over top of battery. 3. VW dealer repair and replace wire harness and fuse body. 4. VW customer care took information on my complaint about defect and potential safety issue but would do nothing referring me back to the dealer. My question was why did VW have such a defect where there was no fusible link that would fail first preventing the extensive damage that occurred.

- Bingham Farms, MI, USA

Feb 012009

Jetta

The bottom seat heater on my 2002 VW Jetta either doesn't work at all or if it turns on, it overheats the extreme right side of the seat. A small hole is burned in the upholstery, and the foam underneath is melted, deforming the appearance of fabric above. This could result in a burn to the skin on the right side of the leg if it goes undetected. I see this as a huge safety issue.

- Story City, IA, USA

Nov 252008

Jetta

While driving the vehicle, smoke and a burning smell started to emerge from the cabin instrument cluster. I pulled to the side of the road and now noticed that the fuel level display and the coolant temperature display are not working even though engine was a normal operating temp and the fuel tank was just filled up.

- Wasilla, AK, USA