3.1

2002 Volkswagen Jetta lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta:

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032007

Jetta 4-cyl

My 2002 VW Jetta experienced a recall problem (N4, brake light switch) and I fixed it through a nearest mechanic because 1) the closest VW dealer is 100 mile away 2) I was scare to drive 100 mile on highway without a proper brake light. However, VW refused to reimburse me for the repairs since I fixed it through an independent facility. I am so sad and disappointed that VW is not considering divers life and safety seriously and is willing to push us to drive hundred miles with a recalled car without a brake light.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jul 052007

Jetta 4-cyl

2002 Jetta with a safety recall- replaced brake light switch customer states that the dealership refused to fixed the recall* the VW service center and customer care informed the consumer the vehicle was out of warranty and they had no obligations to pay for towing or any other cost associated with the vehicle, including the last recall regarding the brake light switch that the consumer has replaced on 3 separate occasions. The consumers daughter had experienced the vehicle locking up as a result of the defective brake switch. The instrument panel failed and the consumers daughter was unable to read the panel. The consumer stated in the past, the trunk latch failed as well as a broken bolt on the transmission, the drivers side seat belt and the egr all had to be replaced. The door latch failed because the lock signal was not working. The consumer stated that he received a recall for his daughter's vehicle, this is the 3rd brake switch not to mention over $800 in unwarranted charges from the dealership. The consumer stated he was hoping that this classifies the vehicle as a lemon. The consumer stated would like dealership to review the over charges or buying the vehicle back.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 292007

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Safety recall 1999-2002 Jetta brake light switch customer is very upset and wants his money back for the part and installation**

- East Tawas, MI, USA

Dec 082006

Jetta 6-cyl

: the contact stated the brake light switch had to be replaced. There was a NHTSA recall #06V183000 regarding the brake light switch. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. Updated 01/19/07.

- Topanga, CA, USA

Sep 032006

Jetta 4-cyl

Way to many to list here. I have had problems from the start. More than $7000 worth of repair (plus more that was covered by warr) the final item that caused me to say I would never consider another VW product was the engine damage caused by a timing belt failure. All services were performed at the dealership. The users manual states inspection of the belt at services (that I paid for) and replacement at 120,000 miles. I only had 92,000 miles. It will cost $5,000 to repair the engine. It is not cost effective to repair this car. It was a great car to drive but quality control is poor at best.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 012006

Jetta

: the contact stated the brake light switch was replaced twice. There was a NHTSA recall #06V183000 regarding exterior lighting:brake lights:switch. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. Updated 10/0/406.

- Clark, NJ, USA

Aug 192006

Jetta 6-cyl

The epc light came on while I was driving my vehicle. I turned off my car when I arrived at my destination. I read the manual, and it was not helpful. It just stated that I should take the car to a dealer or qualified specialist as soon as possible (note: This is what the booklet says for the majority of items in the owners' manual). Upon returning to my vehicle, I started my car once more. My engine turned over, but the car was unable to shift from park into any other gear. The vehicle had to be towed to an auto shop. Upon further inspection, the auto shop informed me that my car had a "feature" that disabled the car from shifting gears due to a tail-light fuse that blew out. It is believed that disabling the vehicle serves the purpose of maintaining safety on the streets- a vehicle in motion without taillights is apparently more dangerous than a driver stranded on the road because their car has stranded them. Luckily, I was fortunate enough not to be in a bad situation. So finally, the car was fixed, of course after I paid yet another hefty bill for my car.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Aug 282006

Jetta 4-cyl

I own a 2002 Jetta 1.8T manual speed wagon purchased on 3/31/06. Less than four months out of warranty, my brake light switch has failed. There has been numerous recalls on 2002 Jetta's with the same defective part, however my car's VIN was not included on the recall. As there are few manual wagons produced and manual transmissions seem to decrease the failure slightly, the defective brake light switch on this car was not included in the recall. The defective brake light switch is the same part as the recalled 2002 Jettas and should be included in the recall or at least be required to be replaced by VW as it is a known faulty part. I would like to include my VIN on the recall as it is using the same defective part (as the recalled vehicles).

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Aug 162006

Jetta 4-cyl

: the contact stated the brake lights were constantly illuminated, whether the vehicle was on or off. There was a NHTSA recall, # 04V096000, regarding the brake light switch. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 162006

Jetta

: the contact stated the brake lights did not work. There was a NHTSA recall, # 06V183000, regarding the exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switch. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 152006

Jetta 4-cyl

I own a 2002 VW Jetta. Recently, the brake light has become inoperative at times and remains on even while the vehicle is not running. I have completed several searches online and have learned that there have been multiple safety recalls for 2002 Jetta's exhibiting the same problem, with the potential number of units affected to be 377,130 in 2004 and 362,000 earlier this year. When I contacted the VW dealership in my area to make an appointment to have this looked at I was told that the repair would be completed free of charge as a result of the recent recall. When I arrived at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment I was told otherwise. The gentleman at the dealership mentioned that my vehicle did not fall in the VIN range of the recall. I then called VW of America and was told on two separate occasions that indeed the repair would be covered free of charge. I then called the dealership to reschedule the appointment and was again told that I would have to pay for diagnostics to be completed on my vehicle as well as covering the charges for parts and labor. The issue remains that my brake light is malfunctioning, there has been a recall which impacts 2002 Jetta's but I seem to get conflicting information from different sources. Can someone help?

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jun 202006

Jetta 4-cyl

7th time this has happened. Car is immobilized by a faulty brake light switch - has happened every six months since we purchased the car.

- Wayland, MA, USA

Apr 142006

Jetta Diesel

: the contact stated the vehicle would not come out of park while the brakes were applied. The dealership determined the brake light switch needed to be replaced. There is a NHTSA recall, # 06V183000, regarding the exterior lighting brake light switch. The VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was alerted.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 202006

Jetta

2002 Jetta rear lights work intermittently. The consumer received a recall notice in the mail regarding the light problems.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 142005

Jetta Diesel

The contact states is NHTSA a recall campaign id # 04V096000 concerning the exterior lighting brake light switch. The consumer was experiencing the same symptoms as indicated in the recall, but the vehicle identification number was not included in the recall. The contact had it repaired at his own expense. Updated 12/7/2005.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA

Sep 152005

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact states there is recall 04V096000 concerning brake light switch on other vehicles of same make/model and year, but this vehicle is not in recall. He cannot get vehicle out of park. This happens intermittently. Dealer replaced the part, and wanted the contact to pay for it. Manufacturer said this vehicle was not included in the recall and offered no help to contact to pay the expenses.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jul 302005

Jetta 4-cyl

On 7-30-2005 I drove approximately 15 miles and while stopped refueling noted that the brake lights were on despite the vehicle being off and the lights off. The brake lights remained on continuously until the brake switch was replaced at chaplin's Volkswagen in bellevue, Washington on 8-2-05. VW has informed me that my VIN number is not within the recall they had on brake light switches. However, when I was at the dealership two other newer VW Jettas were also there for the same problem and the dealership acknowledged they see this problem frequently. Obviously the issue has not been taken care of through 2004 (newest model presented at the dealership). Fortunately the vehicle was not rear ended en route to the dealership.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Nov 242004

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

1. driving during a early winter snow storm in northern in. Driving at constant speed on interstate in 4th gear. All of a sudden the glow plug light came on and started to blink. It then blinked on and off for the next 2 hours till I arrived at my destination 2. after I got to my destination I looked up what the blinking glow plug light could mean on the internet. A VW chat page said to check my rear tail lights. I went out side and restarted the car, same light started to blink and the tail lights did not work. Emergency flashers worked as well as turn signals but no brake lights. With the heavy snow fall and at night this could have resulted in a large disaster if a vehicle behind me had not seen that I was stopping. 3. I took the car to a VW dealership to be fixed after I read that the brake pedal switch was under recall for failures. The dealer informed me that my model VW was not eligible for the recall but the brake sensor was defective. They replaced for $97. Now brake lights work again. It seems that my automobile should have been under the recall since I had the same problem that other VW Jettas are getting fixed for free under a recall.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Nov 272004

Jetta 4-cyl

Tailights burn out frequently. Component caught fire.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Aug 092004

Jetta 4-cyl

Consumer received recall 04V096000 concerning brake light switch. Due to the brake light switch being defective the gear shift could not be moved out of park. The consumer's vehicle was not included in the recall due to VIN.

- Midlothian, VA, USA