1. replaced transmission at dealer (2 reports)
  3. replace transmission at Aamco (1 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Jetta transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta:

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Oct 032009

Jetta 1.8T Turbo

Bought the car used in 2007 at Osborne VW with a 2 year certified used warranty with 54,000 miles on it. After paying over $7,000 out of my own pocket in random other engine problems, at 120,000 miles the transmission has completely gone out and my warranty ended the prior month. Worst car I've ever had. Still making payments for it to sit in my garage and I went out and bought a reliable Toyota with the money it would have taken to fix it!

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 032007

Jetta GLS 2.0L

My car was 2 years old and had 31,000 miles when I bought it. I got it at VW dealership with certified warranty. I thought that certified ment that it was thoroughly inspected, but not so... A week after I drove the car off the lot, the car started to jerk really hard at every stop. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced transmission and controller module. At 71,000 miles I've noticed a jerk at the startup. Once again, I brought my car in to the dealership to complain of the transmission problem. They've replaced my transmission again. Luckily, I still had extended warranty to pay for the repair. However, I don't think I'll be buying another VW. First, it takes a long time to prove to dealership mechanics that you car actually has a problem. Second, who ever heard of transmissions that are only good for about 40,000 miles??? Awful!!!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 042003

Jetta 1.8t

My car was pretty much brand new but was used by $6,000 miles. It was riding rough and the dealer said it was the tires. They were wrong and had to replace the transmission and while doing so they broke the axle.

- , Apex, NC, USA

Jan 212007

transmission threw a bearing at 82,000 miles. first, vw dealership was unaware that I had extended warranty to 100,000 miles on drivetrain. Had to track it down through original salesman. Then dealership wanted $2,800.00 "co-pay" for the new transmission with the warranty. Finally had to use Aamco in another city, with a reasonable copay of $55.00.

- , Lancaster, OH, USA