8.0

1. replace water impeller fan (2 reports)
2004 Volkswagen Jetta cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta:

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

May 282009

Jetta Turbo 1.8L

click to see larger images

water impeller fan broke and car overheated water impeller fan broke and car overheated water impeller fan broke and car overheated water impeller fan broke and car overheated

I was on the way to work and my car started to overheat. So after work I drove my car about 10 miles while its overheated. (Its not exactly overheating, it was just running hot)

So I did research and found out that VW jetta has a plastic water pump impeller (what the hell were they thinking) so anyways. its a good thing that I am a mechanic, but it was a pain in the @#! replacing the water pump. I changed my timing belt, timing idler, timing belt tensioner, it cost me about $240. it would of cost me about $1500 if I took it to the dealer or car shop.

The only thing I do not like about VW is that plastic impeller.

- , Lathrop, CA, USA

Jul 162008

Jetta

I generally love my car, but this whole thing was a pain in the (you know where).

It was compounded exponentially by some incompetent service people at my Volkswagen dealership, who originally misdiagnosed the problem as a temperature sensor failure. So I paid $371 to fix the temperature sensor, then drove my car a mile off the lot, and IT OVERHEATS again. I brought back to dealership and, low and behold, the real problem was the impeller fan, which was covered under my extended warranty.

But they wouldn't refund the original $371. Which I paid to stop the car from overheating. You'd think if anyone would get it right it'd be the dealership that makes the car.

DO NOT BUY FROM NEFTIN VOLKSWAGEN IN WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA.

Do not take your Volkswagen there for service.

Just say "No" to Neftin.