1. replace ignition coils (4 reports)
2004 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta:

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Feb 022016

VW ignition coils are failed, causing the spark plug not to fire and cutting power to the engine. The technician was unable to find the issue about 4 hours and finally found the problem. The car was working fine one day and while at the bank with my boys in the back the car shut off. I needed to get out and push the car into the parking lot to get out of the way.

- , Alliance, OH, USA

Mar 042014

I have replaced all four before. Now this one blew again along with a spark plug

- , SHaker Hts, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Jetta 2.0L

One of our most recent pleasantries with the Jetta. We almost, ALMOST, had seven months worth of relatively problem-free driving. Then, our old friend CEL came back with a vengeance, blinking like it had sand in its eye. I've long given up on nickel and diming this beast at the VW dealership and know from past experience that this indicates a misfire. "Thankfully" we'd replaced the MAF sensor, throttle body, plugs and wires during a previous spending orgy so that narrowed things down to the ignition coils, another common problem with this model. $200 and two hours crawling around on my garage floor in winter later, they're replaced and the problem is temporarily solved. At least they made all of the POS parts easy to access without professional grade equipment.

- , Lansing, MI, USA

May 012011

Engine light came on one and off the next but had jetta scanned and the ignition coils needed replaced. Estimated $900 repair which I was told was under warranty but when I brought it in to the dealership it wasn't covered. Light went off but I'm guessing will need replaced in the future.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA