2005 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta:

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012011

The car has 83K miles, since approx 1 year ago (73K miles) the lcd multifuction display is getting dimmer and dimmer up to the point that sometimes is almost unreadable and the problem occur only when the car is exposed to high temperatures. (in the morning the lcd brightness is normal). I did some research in the internet and found other people have the same condition. The lcd multifunction display shows the odometer data, the transmission gear position and also shows safety warnings related to air bags malfunction and front and rear doors not properly closed. I was advised by a dealer service advisor to contact VW customer service because the repair of this defect is very expensive and according to him may be caused by defective parts. I was told by VW customer service that there is nothing they can do because is not recognized as a manufacturer defect. I understand that it is illegal for a car owner to alter the odometer during the lifetime of the car, if that is the case should be illegal a for a car manufacturer to sell a car that after six years you are unable to read the odometer information.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Jun 272011

Front end crash into a stopped vehicle on county highway. Approximately 35 mph to 40 mph. None of the air bags deployed. Vehicle was totaled by insurance provider. Seat belt straining upon body, that took full force of stop no other absorption of impact energy. Vehicle kept energized even at the salvage storage area when keys were inserted no electrically safety relays disengaged the vehicle electrical system.

- Canon, GA, USA

Jul 082011

Jetta 5-cyl

Wiring harness between the body and the doors flexes during opening and closing of the door. The wire coating becomes brittle with age and cracks causing stress points in the wire leading to breakage of 1 or more wires in the harness leading to inoperable controls and electronics in the door, possible electrical short, and potential fire hazard. This failure tends to occur after a couple years of usage. This particular vehicle failed at 65,000 miles. Usually the driver's door fails first as it is used most frequently. This equipment includes but may not be limited to window controls, door locks, door open sensor, air bag system crash sensor, trunk release switch, fuel door release switch, door mirror adjustment, mirror turn signal indicator, mirror heating element. Wiring harness must be replaced which costs approximately $150-$200. Harness should be redesigned with longer wires to avoid stretching of the wire and wire coating material changed to avoid brittleness with age and work hardening.

- State College, PA, USA

Dec 262009

Turn signal switch malfunction and fire... right turn signal activated without switch being activated. After about 5-10 minutes in this condition, smoke came out of steering column. Fire/marking could be seen in the switch area. Eventually the turn signal went out and the smoke/fire stoppped. VW service replaced the switch and wire harnes. The plactic on the switch and harnes was melted and charred.

- Zionsville, PA, USA

Dec 152005

The airbag light has come on 4 times in my 2005 new Jetta 2.5 the seat belt sensors in front have been replaced once at dealership, this started when the car had only 22000 miles and kept coming on around every 10000 miles, they had to also replace the airbag(s) not sure which ones were replaced, the seatbealts don't wind back up properly sometimes as well. At around 25000 miles the brakes had to be replaced, we heard a clicking one day in the rear wheel well, we took it to the dealership they had replaced the brakes, rotors etc. I have documentation of these repairs.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 292007

The fuse for the rear window defroster melted into the fuse box. I called VW and they informed me that when they manufactured the vehicle they placed a 25 amp fuse in the fuse box and it should be changed to a 30 amp. They informed me that I can do this myself since there was a technical service bulletin placed on this. I told them there was no way that I can get the fuse out since it is melted into the fuse box, and they informed me that I would have to pay to have the fuse box replaced. I do not understand how I am responsible for something that I never did. I cannot use my rear window defroster, heated seats and my heated windshield washers don't even work. I have went the rounds with Volkswagen and they stick to telling me that I am responsible for the costs in replacing the fuse box. Its like they are telling me that I built the car and I placed the wrong fuse. If I did build the car and place the wrong fuse in the car I would pay for the damages associated with this, but I did not build it VW built it and I feel they need to take responsibility for placing the wrong fuse in the fuse box.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 012007

Jetta 8-cyl

2005 Volkswagen Jetta bucks and shakes while driving. Consumer states that the vehicle sounds like it just wants to shut off and not run. While vehicle was in the shop the loaner got hit and dealer would not return her car until payment was made. The consumer stated the first time the problem happened, she had come to a full stop. When she went to accelerate, the vehicle almost stalled, starting bucking and was sluggish. Immediately afterwards, the engine light illuminated. The dealer stated the reset a component, however 1 month later the problem re-surfaced. The consumer was told the problem was several different things, but each time the components were replaced, the problem would come back.

- Pomona, NY, USA

Jan 022007

There are multiple problems with electrical system on this vehicle specifically the rear brake lights, directional signals, remote entry to vehicle, making it unsafe at to drive" tried to make an appointment with local dealer and they advise they are booked out for 12 days - not sympathetic to the fact that these problems are safety related and need to be corrected immediately? either dealership has more problems with vehicles than they can handle or they are under staffed" would not recommend this product line due to poor service and unwillingness to address safety concerns promptly!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 092006

2005 Jetta caught on fire while driving. The dealer informed the consumer, that a lot of vehicles were having a lot of electrical problems with the taillights.

- Millersville, MD, USA

Sep 092006

Jetta 5-cyl

Call stalls out.. my VW2005.5 Jetta while drive turns off with no warning signs.. very dangerous.. on the highways. Been to gunther VW coconut creek fl for 2 times for the same problem.. the first time the car was brought in Aug 30. 2006 for the car stalling.. service advisor dean took in it.. my car was ready Sept 1 2006 I brought the car home and it stalled. So I brought the car back in for service they seem not to believe me until they drove it and it cut off on them while driving now its in the shop and no one has any idea what's going on..

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Apr 172006

Jetta 5-cyl

When driving on the interstate at 65 mph my car suddenly lost all its power and was I could not go over 25 mph. We were very lucky to not get hit from behind. When this happened the traction control light, engine/exhaust light, esr light, esp light all came on. It also stalls out when sitting at an intersection. VW unable to fix as of yet, been in for repairs 3 times already for the same thing. Very dangerous problem, car very unreliable!!

- Austinville, VA, USA

Oct 242005

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact stated the vehicle caught on fire. The contact's son was driving and he felt that the vehicle was not getting any fuel. He pressed the gas pedal and then it stalled. He depressed the gas pedal while trying to restart it, and it started smoking. He got out of the vehicle and lifted the hood and it burst into flames. By the time the fire department arrived the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames. The vehicle was totaled, according to the auto body shop the only thing that remained were the head lights. There has been no investigation as to where the fire started. She contacted Volkswagen, and they told her there was a recall for a faulty fuel clamp. But she never received a recall letter. There was a police report 5021483 was taken at the scene.

- Martinsville, NJ, USA

Dec 142004

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My alarm on my 2005 Jetta tdi is malfunctioning. I have had several other electrical problems, including faulty controls in the steering colum, and faulty components in the esp. I have been told that to repair the alarm, the radio must be replaced, however the radio is on 'backorder', has been for six weeks, and I do not as of today, know when I will have this repaired. These problems, along with the extended delay in repairing the radio have caused me to consider the possibility of a more significant problem with the vehicle itself and I am concerned.

- Sharpsburg, KY, USA