7.4

2005 Volkswagen Jetta transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta:

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Apr 252008

Jetta

The contact owns a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta. On April 25, 2008, while driving 35 mph, the contact shifted the clutch into third gear, but the clutch never shifted back into position. She pulled the vehicle over and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer stated that the pin for the clutch assembly chaffered and failed. Prior to the failure, the contact smelled a burning odor coming from the engine. The dealer stated that the transmission fluid was leaking. The failure was repaired, but the contact wonders if the two failures are related. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for repair. The failure mileage was 49,210.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

May 012005

Jetta

Pretty much since I leased my car in April of 05 there has been problems. When I would put my car into reverse it would shift hard. Then 3 months later I would have to take my foot off the brake and put it back on the brake for it to go into reverse. As time went on when the transmission would engage into reverse it would bounce back. Now when I put it in reverse I can take my foot off the break and leave it off for 5 minutes and nothing, no reverse. I can pump my brakes and no reverse. I have to put it back into park and then back into reverse for it to go into reverse. The dealership says that it is normal. But it is far from normal. I just want them to take back the car. Now my drive is starting to engage hard.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 042005

Jetta 4-cyl

At cold-start, automatic transmission hesitates then lurches into either drive or reverse, which is especially unnerving when driving in areas with in/declines because the vehicle rolls like a manual. Told by the dealer twice that there was no problem because the vehicle's transmission was functioning to mfg specs. This is a problem.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jun 272005

Jetta 4-cyl

Shifting from park to either reverse or drive while engine is cold, vehicle hesitates and then suddenly jerks into gear.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Dec 242004

Jetta

This has been reported by others and I would like to report it as well, so that VW will eventually be forced to make a recall on this malfunction. When I start my car after it has been sitting for and hour or more, I place my foot on the brake, put it either into reverse or drive, and if I am on any hill, very small or large, when I take my foot off of the brake, the car will roll downhill. The first few times this happened, I almost rolled the car over a curb and down a large embankment. The only way to stop the car is to apply the brake again, and then release the brake and quickly apply the gas. When that is done, the car very abruptly jumps into gear.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Apr 252005

Jetta 4-cyl

In the mornings the car will not go into reverse when your foot is on the brake, you have to let off on the brake and reverse the engine a bit, then the car jumps into reverse, suddenly and unexpectly lurches backward. Dealers response: Back your car into your garage or parking space at night so you don't need to use reverse in the morning.

- Calistoga, CA, USA

Jan 122005

Jetta 4-cyl

This probably is the same as the existing complaint number 10079735 for Volkswagen Jetta 04. 1. it happens only when it is cold. If it is cold, the problem is repeatable. 2. while pushing the brake, we move the shift from park to either drive or reverse (it's the same). Then normally, torque is transmitted through driveshaft through the transmission. However, Jetta does not function as such. 3. the transmission only can engages when I release the brake almost completely. Up to the position, it is the same as neutral. That introduces sudden and abrupt start of the car.

- Irvine, CA, USA