2009 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 192016

ABS module failed on my vehicle without warning and for no apparent reason as I was driving at about 40mph. Car has only done about 67,000 miles. The failure of the part affected not only the ABS itself but the power steering, the gas gauge and the speedometer, all of which started to intermittently fail. The part cost over $1600 to replace and I was without a vehicle for several days as it took them a long time to reprogram the car. It would seem this is a very common problem with the 2009 Volkswagen and as the part is so expensive to replace, VW needs to address this.

- Windsor Heights, IA, USA

Jul 212016

I bought a 2009 Jetta after it was listed in the NHTSA article "safest used cars for teens." Wish I hadn't. VW has a problem with their ABS modules failing unexpectedly, but it is not a recall issue. My anti-locks failed today as I attempted to avoid a vehicle nearly side swiping me on an urban interstate during daytime traffic. This caused me to spin about 180 degrees and can't believe I wasn't T-boned. This vehicle should be taken off of that list, and not be recommended as a safe vehicle for teens.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 132016

Here's another ABS module failure thanks to VW's horrible design. The failure is causing the entire dash cluster to go haywire. Car beeps all the time because it thinks the emergency brake is on. Speedometer doesn't work! fuel gauge jumps up when engaging brakes. ABS, traction, epc, cel lights constantly on, and sometimes it goes into limp mode making it dangerous to drive on the highway. VW charges $2,000 for the part excl labor which is 20% of the price of the car new. This should not happen with a seven year old car at only 100K miles

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jun 242016

Jetta's ABS light and traction lights came on. Speedometer will sputter and car dashboard will have a beeping sound with the brake light on as well as the ABS light. Can will still drive normally but the warning lights and beeping sound will appear every few minutes. Took it to the dealer and was told my ABS module needs to be replaced and the repair will cost $2400. Searched online and other Jetta owners seem to have this same problem.

- Union, NJ, USA

May 022016

Randomly, most of the vehicle warning lights, check engine or malfunction indicator light, brake system, ABS, traction control or esp, airbag fault, appear while I am using a brake for red light and driving on any kinds of roads. Then I feel the wheel as heavier than usual, the past (cannot turn smoothly like before). I just purchased the used vehicle on December 16, 2015. The cardealer, autonation, sold the car by advertising that's well maintenanced and all checked. However, within6 months after the purchase, those vehicle warning lights came up on the display. Autonation suggested me to go to wollswagen dealer. The mechanic at the local Volkswagen dealer gave me an estimates for the repair around 2,000 usd saying that ABS system is not working and needs to be replaced by a new one. I asked a help to autonation, but the dealer said that's why Volkswagen car is known as a risky choise. The dealer appolozied me saying that he cannot help me. Is there any way to return the car to autonation or to get my car repaired by autonation?

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

May 132016

I had scary moments while I was driving my VW Jetta last Friday May 13, 2016. Suddenly the vehicle started acting up. The lights on the dashboard that comes on for warning started blinking included engine, brake lights are constantly flashing, steering, ABS, and E.T.C. (electronic throttle control) + bold red line flashing across drive gears display all in one!!!!!! which is not makes any sense. żż. had to maneuver over to the side of the road, lucky we didn't get in an accident!!!! what actually happens when it comes on it is hard to steer, acceleration goes slow, beeping hearing test noise frequents, gas gauge goes to E, and speedometer goes all the way to the end. This happens frequently and doesn't matter what road or highway I'm in, which makes it more dangerous when it's hard to steel and the brake lights are constantly flashing and when I steer the vehicle goes back not forward. I towed my vehicle to a local VW dealership and it was determined that the ABS module failed and caused the problems. The cost to replace ABS module is $2350 ($1650 ABS module +$700 labor). This is obviously a manufacturing defect which can cause an immediate harmful affect if I was on a highway or not being careful I could have easily been in a life threatening accident I don't think it's fair that consumers should absorb the cost of this type of repair I think VW should send a recall immediately. VW knows about this problem and they replaced the ABS part # 1K0 614 517 bef with new part # 1K0 614 517 bk bef ( I request the old parts from the dealer) -attached my video that I recorded at the time that I had this incident. Https://"usp=sharing"usp=sharing

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Nov 142015

During normal driving ABS, brake, and ESC lights turned on to inform me there's problem with the braking system. My vehicle at the time only had around 55,000 miles. I believe the ABS module prematurely malfunctioned. VW dealer confirmed a faulty ABS module and it will cost $2,200 to fix it. When searching for related issues on the internet, if found numerous similar complaints regarding the ABS failure. I can only assume that there are more drivers who have experienced the problem like me, but has not filed a complaint yet. I didn't even consider filing a complaint until I finally got it confirmed that it was the ABS module failure. I believe VW should replace the ABS module at no cost to owner.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jan 282016

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the ABS module malfunctioned and caused the vehicle to shift out of gear. The affected parts included the speedometer and the power steering. The speedometer shifted to zero mph without the assistance of the driver, and the steering wheel stiffened, which caused further difficulties for the contact. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 252015

Here's a video I made that shows the effects: I'll just be driving along and suddenly the car will start beeping and the power steering will quit working and every warning light on the dashboard will come on at the same time and the speedometer will drop to zero no matter what speed I'm driving and sometimes the car will pop out of gear while I'm driving 70 miles an hour on the freeway. It started out intermittently in 2014 and the dealership couldn't diagnose the problem. But then it started happening more and more frequently and the issue could be identified in late 2015. So now 2 different VW dealerships have told me that the issue is a faulty ABS module. It's crazy that an ABS module can shut down so many different systems while the car is in motion. If you look around online you'll find it affects several different VW models, at least the Jetta and the golf, maybe others. My wife and I don't drive the car anymore because we don't want to get in a wreck when the car just pops out of gear for no reason. But I bet other people have been hurt by these faulty ABS modules and all the dangerous effects they have on the car.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 242016

The ABS module needs to be restore or replace. The lights on the dashboard that comes on includes engine, brakes, steering, ABS, and E.T.C.(electronic throttle control).what actually happens when it comes on is it hard to steer, acceleration goes slow, beeping hearing test noise frequents, gas gauge goes to E, and speedometer stops working. This happens frequently and doesn't matter what road or highway I'm what makes it more dangerous when its hard to steel and the brake lights are constantly flashing.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 192015

Driving home when exiting off to the hwy my Jetta will flash the ABS, brake and ESC lights while beeping. Took car to mechanic it was relayed that the ABS module was bad. I refuse to take car to VW dealer because I already have issues with them about the erc valve and diesel fuel particulate filter (engine light constantly stays on) being 1 of the issues VW has admitted being faulty but still not doing anything about it. To get the ABS fixed it's going to be over $2500 and the have the erc & diesel fuel particulate filter fixed is over $3000. Each of these items are faulty and should be taken care of by the dealer with a cent paid from my pocket. Both are life threatening faults that eventually could lead to my death or deaths of others. I have no choice as this is my sole source of transportation so I have to drive it. Even though VW admits fault they are doing nothing to help except for offering "consolation" gifts - none will cover cost to fix car and get myself and others out of danger. VW needs to be held responsible.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 192015

ABS warning light solid yellow, break light flashing red and beeping, esp/asr light solid yellow (inactive.) VW dealership replaced ABS module and pump total bill $ 3109.44

- Panama City, FL, USA

Sep 222014

I was driving down the highway at approximately 55mph when a construction vehicle swerved into my lane in front of me. I braked quickly - firmly but not a full panic brake - and immediately felt the car lose traction and start to spin. There was no ABS brake pedal feedback. The car did a perfect 180 and I ended up between the left and middle lanes, facing the wrong direction. Thankfully I didn't spin off of the road and the cars behind me were able to stop in time - about a foot from where my front bumper stopped. I was extremely lucky and I could have been killed. I reversed the car, got facing in the right direction and then pulled off into the shoulder to catch my nerves and evaluate the car. There was a beeping sound and 'brake' illuminated on the dashboard. I turned the car off, waited a minute and turned it back on. No warning sounds or dash lights showed anything was wrong after the restart. I scheduled an appointment with my local VW dealer and found out my ABS module needed to be replaced at a cost of around $2300. Not to mention the two rear tires I needed to replace from the wheels locking up and flat-spotting them. I called VW usa to complain and after 3 calls explaining that this seems to be a recurring problem from the NHTSA website complaints area, was told a 25% discount on the repair was as good as they could do and have a nice day. No concern or comments on the lack of any warning lamp of ABS failure before the incident or after the car was restarted. The failure could have occurred 2 years prior while the car was in warranty but I didn't know until I actually needed the ABS to work and found out the hard way. Shame on VW... it appears to be a known safety issue and they are looking the other way to save a buck.

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Jun 242015

I was driving down the street when a loud beeping and the red ABS failure + every light on dashboard lit up. Every gauge stopped working (the gas gauge, speedometer, etc) I was close to home and carefully proceeded to the house. After a half mile the car stalled and the engine died. Because I was prepared for an event, I immediately set hazards and rolled to the side of the road. I restarted the car and made it the rest of the way home (2 blocks) without it stalling again. I have not driven the car since, I took it the VW dealer and it was determined the ABS module failed / broke and caused the problems. This is obviously a manufacturing the defect which can cause an immediate harmful affect. If I was on a highway or being careful far beyond any normal sense I could have easily been in a life threatening accident.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Jun 242015

I was driving on the 101 freeway at 4pm on my way home from work in moderate to heavy traffic when I braked thinking it was closer to the car in front of me then I actually was and hit my brake; my foot when to the floor, the car did not stop but skidded and spun around. I landed facing the opposite direction on the edge of an embankment without hitting any other car. I called 911 thinking it would roll down the embankment and was able to crawl out of the passenger side door. There was brush on the side of the freeway which prevented me from rolling down. My car is currently at the shop and waiting for inspection.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

May 082015

Jetta 4-cyl

I was approaching a red light when suddenly the ABS brake light came on, followed by every light on my dashboard. My car stalled and came to a complete stop. Fortunately I was in the right hand lane of a semi-busy street and was able to wait until my car started up again. Had I been on the freeway with my two small children in the backseat, I have no doubt that this would have caused a serious accident or death. I was told that I need to replace my complete ABS system. I have approximately 72,000 miles on this car and have serviced it regularly. There is no reason for a part which affects the electrical system and safety of the driver should go out this soon unless it is a defective part - period!!! I know that hundreds have experienced the same problem as me as I have read their complaints online. VW needs to immediately make the repairs necessary to correct this problem in order to make their vehicles safe to the public and before anyone is injured or dies. If VW ignores this problem, instead of dealing with repairs, VW will be dealing a class action suit. Please take note, VW.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Upon driving through a highway interchange at a lower rate of speed the electronic stability control disconnected with an amber solid light on the instrument cluster indicating so, the anti-lock braking system also disengaged indicated as well with an amber solid light on the instrument cluster, and the brake light was flashing red on the instrument cluster. Upon turning off the car and turning it back on it resets, however the issue is becoming more common as time goes on.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 092015

Anti-lock brake and stability control failure during braking event. During braking event on slippery surface: 1.) ABS engaged as normal at start of braking event. 2.) ABS stopped working and wheels locked up resulting in vehicle rotation. 3.) stability control and brake warning lights came on accompanied by a beep. 4.) after braking event warning lights remained on and ABS/stability were non-functional. 5.) after car restart warning lights were gone and ABS/stability control worked. Under gentle braking on slippery surface ABS works. Able to consistently recreate issue with hard braking or hard acceleration on slippery surface. There is no indication of an issue prior to failure. Car was checked by VW dealership prior to failure and no error codes were returned pertaining to ABS/stability control.

- Cambridge , MA, USA

Jan 252015

The contact owned a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at approximately 45 mph and applying the brake pedal, the ABS, the stability, and the brake warning lights illuminated. In addition, there was a loud abnormal noise and the vehicle spun out of control. The vehicle flipped three times and crashed into a bush. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries. The contact did not disclose if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger axle was fractured. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Feb 012014

ABS control module failure is very common for MK5 Jetta's and golf's. mine failed approaching a red light in a foot of snow, resulting in a loss of the traction control, ABS and stability control. Volkswagen needs to do the right thing and issue a technical service bulletin before there is a loss of life.

- Montgomery, IL, USA