2010 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Sep 222015

While driving, the car inadvertently disengages the dsg transmission resulting in no power transfer to the wheels. The car also displays an "esp error" (electronic stability program) in conjunction with the transmission problem. Once the car is shifted into park and turned off, and then back on, the problem is resolved temporarily. It happens without warning and poses danger for the driver and occupants. This initially happened 2 months prior after a headlight burned out and the bulb status light on the dash came on. The transmission disengagement event occurred once or twice before the headlight was replaced. After replacing the light bulb, the transmission error appeared to resolve itself. Two months later, the event occurred following the failure of a valve stem with TPMS sensor on the tire. The repair shop did not have any TPMS sensors in stock and replaced the stem with a rubber one. This resulted in the TPMS status light being on in the dash. Coincidentally, within a couple days of this, the dsg transmission /esp error re-emerged. This time around the error occurred every 5 to 10 minutes of driving. This disengagement happened during city and highway driving at varying speeds. Disabling esp and driving in manual mode did not fix the problem. This leaves the occupants in a dangerous situation, especially when driving through construction zones and other areas without adequate shoulders on the road. The car is up to date on preventative maintenance. Car is at 113,000 miles. Extended warranty expired at 109,000. Neither VW of America or warranty company say they can assist. Dealership service cannot specifically diagnose the problem and suggest either mechatronic unit replacement ($2,000) might solve the problem. If not, complete transmission replacement ($5,000) is recommended.

- Park Hills, KY, USA

Nov 082014

I enjoyed this car for the first year from then on nothing but constant problems. The daul mass flywheel, the diesel particulate filter #1 at 98000 miles with a con artist service manager at lagdon VW in vernon ct. Telling me I needed another one 3 weeks later and it was my fault and not covered with vwoa standing by the dealer I took the car to a non VW repair shop and they laughed when I told them my story and had the diesel particulate filter fixed in 10 minutes with no charge. The car passed state emissions with no problem. The high pressure fuel pump went. Now with 6 payments left it needs too much to list and I may default on loan because of constant money spent on repairs. The credit union says they may stop financing VW tdi's because of all the complaints and defaults.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 282013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving home to panama city beach fl via the Florida turnpike car the engine revved up, I had no power and the esp light on the dash came on. I had to coast to the side of the road where I put it in park. I could not put the car back in gear. I then turned the engine off and waited a few minutes. I cranked the car back up and the light was not on. Put the car in gear and proceeded on trip. After arriving at my destination, I had three more instances of the same action. I contacted my local dealer to make arrangements to bring the car in. This has been a very frightening experience, especially during highway travel (which is mostly where this car is driven). Losing power at 70 mph in congested traffic would no doubt result in multiple injuries, property damage and most likely deaths. This problem needs to be resolved on a global level with Volkswagen.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 272013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Esp error. Car would not start. Condensation in charge air intake system caused failure in esp system and air intake.

- Maplewood, NJ, USA

Jan 102011

Jetta 5-cyl

I purchased my brand new VW Jetta from the dealership lot. Less than 4 weeks later when the car was in the driveway I started it, and as I pressed the gas down the car began to move (in a sputtering/jerking type of movemen)T but it was not able to go more than 7 feet before it stalled out, , and the RPM's were high and the car just moved like it was not able to properly accelerate, it stalled out before the end of my drive way. I started it again and it drove properly, this exact incident occurred at least1- 2 times a week on a cold start. I took it to dealership, nothing found on diagnostics.then at least every 1-2 months I took it to dealership, no proof on a recall & work was done. Same problem occurred again and again. Took it back. They said they could not find a solution because its not repeating the stalling when its at dealership. I am still having the issue of my car stalling out when driving, it is a safety issue. It is dangerous driving a car that stalls out while you are on the road. Since the cold start issues I have also had it stall out on the road, in an intersection. This car is still repeating the stalling. I cannot get any answers on how to fix it due to no "proof" on diagnostics check. I feel unsafe in my car. It starts to accelerate then shuts off. This is not acceptable and hasnt ever been properly fixed even thoughvw corporate has a case on the issues of my car.

- Longwood, FL, USA