2010 Volkswagen Jetta seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 102016

"takata recall" I was driving on scott street, when another driver ran the red light on the intersection and hit my car on the passenger side towards the back passenger door, and the airbag didn't deploy. I informed VW, they did a diagnostic text on my car and their findings was that the airbag did what it was supposed to do. I didn't take it any further.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 112016

During a trip, the air bag light came on and airbag service message was displayed when I restarted my car after filling up the gas tank. When I brought it to the dealer, they found the code for faulty N9S - airbag exceeded. As I understood it, I had no airbag protection during the time it took to get this fixed. VW corporate refused to pay for any of this repair, which cost me $913.58 to replace the airbag in the steering column. VW claimed that my car VIN was not part of any previously announced airbag safety recalls.

- Evans, GA, USA

Jan 032016

The contact owned a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, another vehicle abruptly stopped in front of the vehicle. The brake pedal was depressed but failed respond on the wet road. As a result, the contact crashed into the vehicle. The air bag failed to deploy. The contact sustained back injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,647.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Nov 022015

Airbag warning light came on. Diagnosed by VW as a problem with the "steering wheel clock spring". although press release included recall information for this part and problem, on this make and model, VW declined to include my vehicle in its recall. Since this vehicle was purchased for my 17 year old new driver and safety, I had no choice but to pay over $360 to replace the defective airbag part. VW said they would reimburse me if the vehicle did end up in the recall at a later date.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 282015

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 50 mph, the contact crashed into a tree and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000...updated 10/28/15 updated 12/10/15.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Sep 012015

The day I received the email from the NHTSA for the clock springs failing on my make and model of vehicle my airbag light came on. At first I didn't think anything of it and then I lost my horn and radio controls on my steering wheel. Since I had just read the investigation that is been initiated I knew that is what it was. It is the only part that powers the steering wheel. The campaign number for that is 15V483000. It still drives just as it always has but I don't have any steering controls and if I were to get in an accident hard enough to deploy air bags my drivers side would not deploy.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 022015

Starting in May 2015 we began to notice that the passenger airbag light would not always seem to work correctly when my son sat there. I just figured it to be a problem with the light in the dash. My son weighing in the 60 pound range, I knew it should not of been on when he was there. Sometimes it said off sometimes it did not. I always felt this was an indicator light issue not thinking a car this new with such low miles could have problems with the airbag. On August 23, 2015 as I was driving alone I noticed the car was not cooling down so I was looking to see if I forgot to turn something on when I noticed that the A/C was indeed on, and not working, as well as the airbag light in the instrument cluster was illuminated. There are multiple problems. Dealer diagnostics verified my concerns. Found dtcs present for pods module. Pods module needs replaced. Found dtcs for high pressure switch open. Sensor needs replaced. Estd; $1800 the problem with the passenger airbag is that the sensor for the weight of the person does not work correctly. VW has this integrated into the seat base that also is heated. The entire seat base with replacement cost of over $1400 must be replaced in its entirety to make this repair. At this point I was told that VW is not making repairs of this type. Since then I have also had the tire lights come on then off periodically as well as some ipod dock issues. There seems to be many issues related to electrical issues that VW feels they have no responsibility over. I have read that others have had these issues posted unofficially on other sites.

- Smithfield , UT, USA

Nov 202014

Jetta 5-cyl

Airbag light is illuminated. VW service department notes the airbag spiral spring needs to be replaced costing ~$600. It would seem to be a safety issue and should be replaced by VW.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Jul 152014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

At approximately 1:30pm on July 14, 2014 my mom was driving South bound on highway 99. She slowed down due to highway construction and to merge onto highway 58 East when she was struck from behind by a pick up truck. She then struck the vehicle in front of her. The airbags in the vehicle did not deploy.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 192014

Turned vehicle on, air bag warning light came on and won't go off. Taken to VW dealer and they said something about a module that would have to be repaired and they're not responsible for that. No accident has occurred that would cause the airbag to deploy or cause the light to go on. It certainly is an issue that VW should repair. Car only has a little over 40,000 miles.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Sep 092013

The airbag stopped functioning without any reason. The car was being started when the airbag error indicator came on and stated airbags are not functional. VW says that this is not included in the safety warranty, which does not make any sense since its clearly a safety issue and should not be failing especially when the car is only 3 years old and has only 65,000 miles.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Jul 072013

Jetta 5-cyl

I was driving on the interstate (I77southbound) and all of a sudden the vehicle in front of me started slamming on their brakes. Instantly I hit my brakes and stopped safely without hitting that vehicle. Literally 2 or 3 seconds later, a car rear ends me at speed of approximately 65-70 mph while I was stopped. After that car hit me at that rate of speed, it caused me to collide into the car in front of me. I didn't have a single one of my airbags deploy at all. I would like to file a lawsuit against Volkswagen because of this reason.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Aug 312012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The seal between the connectors and the drain hose for the sunroof drains leak (three of four connectors), allowing water to run down the both driver and passenger side A-pillars. This resulted in the airbag and its associated mounts/wiring and harness getting soaked. The water continued down the a pillars to collect in the front wheel wells. The path of the water was over/through the drivers side interior junction/fuze block. The rear drains also leak, causing intermittent electrical malfunctions. Note that this leak is not due to the drains being blocked. Rather the seals between the white plastic that connects to the drain and the brown drain hose is not complete. This allows water to drip down onto the frame. As much as 2-3 gallons of water could enter during a mild rain storm.

- Conover, OH, USA

Sep 152012

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 3 mph, another vehicle traveling 40 mph crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The contact's vehicle spun uncontrollably and was turned around where the second vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle again on the front driver side door. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileages were 23,000.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 102012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car was driven daily and air bag error indicator came on and has stayed on. VW not willing to fix issue at all.

- Newtown, CT, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that a vehicle crashed into the rear of his vehicle, causing him to be pushed into a preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the head, neck and back. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage lot. The contact believed that the air bags should have deployed due to the severity of the impact. The failure and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 202011

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact was driving 50 mph when he was involved in a three vehicle crash. The contact crashed into the rear of one vehicle and another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the seat belts failed to restrain the contact. The contact was thrown into the steering wheel and sustained injuries to the head and chest. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the air bags were not to deploy because the sensors were not activated. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 212011

Airbag error light.

- Texas, TX, USA

Jan 172011

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the driver crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. There were no warning lights on the instrument panel prior to the crash. The driver sustained minor injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent garage and they are waiting an investigation upon approval. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 2,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA

Oct 112010

VW Jetta tdi 2010. On four occasions the car has completely died while moving slowly. (5 to 20 mph) everything in the car stayed on. I had to turn the key off. Place the car in park and restart the car. There was no indication of any problems before or after the car staled out. Nothing in the car turned off or on, except the radio after I turned the key to the off position. Also while driving door locks started to click open and closed at 65 mph. After 10 min of random clicking the doors locked and stayed locked. Airbag light came on while driving. The light went back off after 20 min or so. Has not come back on. Transmission is generally smooth, however at random it is very abrupt, even during gradual or steady acceleration/deceleration. Car has only one driver. Has only ever had correct fuel. Various other electrical problems began at 300 miles. All problems are random. VW continually dismisses me. It is going into shop again on Monday. From the sounds of it they do not expect to do anything to fix the car. Just drive it a few days and see if a problem happens. Car has put me in the middle of intersection with no control.

- Dracut, MA, USA