Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Digging through the long list of NHTSA complaints about a sudden loss of engine power and the high pressure fuel pump failing, it's never good to come across the "my car (with a cold engine) set itself on fire in the middle of the night" complaint.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta:

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 062014

Jetta 5-cyl

All of a sudden, I would turn on my car and most of the exterior lights would not work, including headlights, high beams, brake lights, blinkers, and daytime running lights. It was dangerous to suddenly drive without lights when it was nighttime or changing lanes without working blinkers to alert other drivers. I took the car in to get it checked out and apparently this is a common issue in recent VW cars, that the fuse box is melting the fuses. I read more about it online and some people described problems with other key processes failing like power steering. I can't believe VW hasn't made a recall on this because it happens to so many of their cars and requires an expensive part replacement. Also this problem seems to happen to others in the 10000 miles beyond the warranty of a car in 36000 miles. That is being unfair and dishonest to customers.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Jan 052014

Jetta 4-cyl

While driving the 2011 VW Jetta on 1/5/14 during rain showers I switched the wipers on (which I had previously used aprox 5 mins before) & nothing happened, then I realized that the turn signals were also not working including the hazard flashers.. upon reaching my home at reduced speeds in order to safely make it home I attempted to make the needed repair to resolve the issue, thinking the issue was a blown fuse, but after further investigation no blown fuses are present & at the current time VW service dept. Denies that any part of the electrical system is faulty & although the problem is still currently not fixed. Along with other electrical functions such as the power windows & door locks not functioning due to this electrical malfunction the vehicle will not crank & start using the ignition switch. I feel this problem is a safety issue that VW needs to address & offer a recall before such a malfunction results in a fatal incident due to not being able to clearly see the roadway during rainy conditions.

- Glencoe, AL, USA

Nov 212013

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the passenger's side headlights failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the fuse box was overheating and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 60,100.

- Dry Ridge , KY, USA

Oct 282013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

All fine in the morning, parked in a paved lot at work. Leaving in the afternoon instrument cluster told me a light was out. By the time I was leaving the parking lot the following were not working: Left: Font side, rear turn. Right: Headlight, daytime running light, front turn, rear tail. License plate lights. A friend is an ase master tech. This is what he found: "so to follow up on this. If you look at the fuse it appears to be '┐┐cooked'┐Ł on one side. This would indicate heat on only one side of the fuse. I think we can agree this is not a fuse issue, but a wiring or supply issue. With the knowledge that when you try and run to many amps through too small a wire it creates excess heat I would Venture that VW put too small a wire on one side of fuse 16. The fuse block is in the engine compartment in fr of the brake booster. The 16 fuse is towards the back of the block and the burnt side was towards the passenger side of the car. I am not sure how worried I would get about this, but simply put a few 30amp fuses in the glove box. Ya there is an issue there, but the first one lasted 39K." I have the fuse. At least one other person has had a similar issue:

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Jun 282013

Jetta 5-cyl

The warning light came on upon starting the vehicle indicating that a headlight, side light, brake light, and rear light were out. I inspected the vehicle and all lights were working. The indicater however kept coming on. Upon taking into the shop to check on the repair I was informed that this is due to a defective fuse box in the vehicle which gets "hot" and shorts the box out. VW is aware of this problem but not enough people have complained to warrant a recall. When I advised that this may result in a possible fire or shorting out of the system - mayble causing a stall I was told "it could happen.". the fuse box was replaced which cost $785.27. Fortunately, this box is still under warranty of the repair because I am having the problem again for a second time.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Aug 062013

Jetta 5-cyl

I was driving and I tried to honk my horn because a tractor trailer was merging in my lane. My horn would not sound and I had encountered this problem before and then later that evening it started to drizzle and my windshield wipers were not working.

- Loganville , GA, USA

May 102013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Vehicle has no fuse diagram and lighter fuse repeatedly blows.unable to get help on leased vehicle without paying for service. I unfortunately cannot access simple fuses without having a diagram. I was put in harms way by accidentally removing brake light fuse. I am not able to find a diagram on the internet or VW website.

- Fort Motte, SC, USA

Mar 242013

When the car is parked the interior and exterior lights come on until you go crank the car. The dealer completed a diagnostic test and he said everything checked out ok....this is not normal and my concern would be will it eventually affect the battery.

- Hampton, GA, USA