2012 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 152014

Jetta

I own a 2012, Jetta, tdi. The dealer had to change the horn. The dealership advised me that they change so many of these defective horns that they stock them. As a law enforcement officer I feel this is a safety issue. It makes me wonder now if there other life-threatening problems with the vehicle they haven't bothered to fix. I see countless VW's with taillights out as I patrol. I can't believe VW is putting their customers in danger with a known common problems.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Dec 312013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to successfully move the vehicle off the highway by shifting into neutral. The dealer was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

May 302013

Jetta

Car ignition will not turn off. Was told by a dealership that it was the steering column lock and sheer bolts would need to be replaced.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Jetta 5-cyl

Key will not turn to shut engine off, turn key forward like starting car, then release key so it springs back and remove key. Defect, could not shut car off while pumping gas, had to wait till I was home to lookup on internet how to turn key off.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Mar 282013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Engine light and ECM (engine control malfunction) light both come on. Have taken this new car in 6 times in 2 years, and the lights are on, yet again. After VW replaced sensors (four times), and wiring (module), and harness....all under warranty, this is still a problem. And I do not know if it is a safety defect or not. I want to know that before a crash, fire, or fatality happens. Please....if this is happening to your vehicle, make it known to this site. Thanks.

- Alto, GA, USA

Mar 112014

Jetta 4-cyl

Approached a red light - was 2nd car from light. Just as I stopped the light changed to green and when I stepped on the gas to go the car cut off. This happened again about 5 days later and then today I was going slowly through a shopping complex parking lot and the engine cut off again. I had my car in for an oil change a few days after the 2nd incident and had them check it out but was told everything was ok. I was told about 8 or 9 mos ago there was a recall on the ECM and the dealer checked it out and assured me all was ok just like they assured me there was nothing wrong when they checked it out after the call stalled out on me.

- Venice, FL, USA

Aug 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I had taken my vehicle to a new VW in el cajon, where I had a new issues pop up with my A/C. my A/C was not blowing as cold as it should have been. When driving I would notice my A/C go from cold to warm a lot. It would randomly do it all throughout the day, I was never getting constant cold air. I brought it in and notified the dealership of the issue and even pointed out a wire that seemed to me to be a odd because wire was showing, they told me don't worry we will take care of this issue. They did not do so they told me that they could not duplicate the issue and said everything was normal, even though I knew it was not because I was the one experiencing this issue. It seemed to me once again they did little as they could to actually help me and get this they supposedly did another multipoint inspection and did not say anything about my tires, something VW kearny mesa said to be cupped and feathered, but yet they did not catch this.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Apr 162014

Jetta 5-cyl

When I drove home at 7pm on Wednesday, I stopped the car and shifted to park. But I couldn't turn the key off from ignition. The key was just locked in the on position and the engine just kept running. I drove around and tried it again. But I still couldn't shut the engine. I called the police officer and my insurance company, but none of them can help me with this situation. The engine kept running for an hour and almost 40 minutes until I accidentally turned it off. I was calling my friend and tried it again, after almost two hours it stopped.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 052013

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving home after a snowstorm, my wipers suddenly stopped working. Because of it, I could not clean my windshield and had to keep pulling over and pouring windshield washer fluid down my front window so that I could see. It is very dangerous in Maine in the winter time to have this happen as we often encounter wet/snowy roads and you must depend on your windshield wipers and fluid system to work properly and keep your windshield clear. I took my car into the VW dealer (O connors in augusta Maine).. they determined there was no power coming out of the wiper switch to the pump. First they replaced the wiper/washer switch which did not fix the problem. Then they had it for another full day and determined the "body control module" was not working. They had to order the part. It cost $1041 dollars to replace the module, part # 5co-937-087-E-Z09 control unit. When I finally picked it up I was told that 5 other VW owners had their cars in for the same exact problem that week. One owner was standing there in the customer service area and he told me the same thing happened to his 2013 Jetta. The shop rep said they were seeing a lot of these since the cold weather set in. My car is in excellent condition and was only 20 months old when this happened. There has got to be a major defect for this many new cars to have this happen to them. I wish you would investigate.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Feb 182012

Jetta 4-cyl

I was sold a brand new 2012 Volkswagen Jetta without a passenger airbag. Additionally, there were multiple other defects with the vehicle, and by definition, I was sold a lemon. I've tried bringing the vehicle back to the dealership on multiple occasions to repair the problems, and they have yet to be able to correct the issues. The dealership installed a new airbag which has malfunctioned on more than a few occasions, resulting in the airbag light coming on and causing faults in the terminals leading to the tail lights and shorts in the dashboard.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Feb 042014

Jetta

My VW Jetta from 2012 has issues with the horn not working properly when there a heavy rain and humidity. When driving in the rain the horn becomes extremely low or won't work at all. Have been to the VW service center and gotten this replaced. The issue persists. This is not safe when having to alert a driver or pedestrian.

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Apr 122012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta sport wagon tdi. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who advised that the cruise control switch and steering column computer chip needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximately failure mileage was 7,281.

- Providence, RI, USA

Nov 182013

Jetta

Leaving work I had started my car let the car idle down put it in drive and it slammed into gear after taking off the car shifted into 3rd gear and no higher after noticing this I pulled over put the car in park and tried shifting through the gears and it continued to slam into drive and reverse so I turned the vehicle off and started it back up at that point the mil was on and the service wrench was light up. Called me dealership they had the car towed to a Volkswagen dealership upon their diagnoses they said it could be a wiring issue possible a transmission control module issue upon further investigation the transmission control module had been warrantied previously (as I am the second owner of the car).

- Ticonderoga , NY, USA

Nov 162013

Jetta 4-cyl

While my daughter was sitting at a stop light in a left hand turn lane, all of the dash lights began to flash. She thought if she turned the car off and restarted it, it would clear. She could not restart the car, the hazard lights would not turn on, the back doors would not unlock, the radio could not be turned off and it was pitch dark. Thank god, a man with a family pushed her car to out of the left hand turn lane and into a gas station parking lot across the street. Upon my husband and my arrival, we could not open the trunk either to allow the tow truck driver access to the tow hook. We leased this car due to its safety features of our college age daughter. Hazard lights should work regardless of what's going on with the vehicle. Had someone reared ended the vehicle due to no hazard lights, passengers in the back would not have been able to exit the vehicle. Or if it had caught fire to only way to exit would be through the two front doors. We were told by the VW dealer that it was a controller that went out and that he has never heard this happening before. I'm writing to VW to let them know that if this is true for all VW products, it is a design flaw that jeopardizes everyone that buys or leases one.

- Newark, CA, USA

Apr 042013

Jetta

Cpsc:I1340048A. 2012 Volkswagen. Consumer stated that VW made a software change to the car which caused it to race dangerously when the brake was released or put in first gear.

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

Apr 122013

Jetta

I was on an approximately 6 hour road trip. Approximately 100 miles from my home, my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta tdi was being driven at approximately 70 mph on the highway. The glow plug light on the instrument cluster began flashing. Vehicle then went into "limp mode", slowing to approximately 45 mph on the highway. I was able to make it to the next exit off the highway, and come to a stop at the off ramp stop sign. The vehicle then stalled, and would not restart. This left my wife and I stranded 100 miles from home. Vehicle was towed back to the dealership, where the vehicle was purchased. Mechanic at dealership stated the high pressure fuel pump "exploded", sending metal shards throughout the vehicle's fuel system. Dealership states this may be caused by "contaminated fuel". a small amount of online research revealed this is a common problem with Volkswagen tdi engines.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Dec 282012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving at about 45 miles an hour and the vehicle suddenly lost power steering and all power. Without power steering it was difficult to get all the way over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed by roadside assistance and to the nearest VW dealership who evaluated the problem. The dealership indicated that the main fuse had melted and blown out the entire fuse box and the alternator cable had melted. The repair invoice indicates: "found alternator cable at fuse box melted, replaced fuse panel, alternator cable and fuse on front of fuse panel. Replaced wiring harness. Tested battery and charging system and road tested car. " I believe this is a fire hazard.

- Easton, PA, USA

Oct 032012

Jetta

Picked up the car from the dealer on 10/03/12 at 11:00 a.M. it was new---had 47 miles on the odometer. Drove it to work and then arrived home at 6:45 that evening with odometer reading 81 miles. As I was parking the car in the garage I put it into reverse to back it into the spot and then switched the gear(this is a automatic transmission) to drive to straighten out. The car continued to move backwards in reverse and if I had not had my foot on the brake I would have crashed into the concrete wall of the garage. Tried to put the car back into drive--the gear shift was stuck in reverse. I turned off the car and of course, could not start it again because the car was in reverse. The electrical panel on the dashboard continued to read that the car was in park. Tow truck driver arrived and he had to manually pull the cable wire in the engine while the car was running to change gears and get the car to start. This is a very serious problem---the dealer and Volkswagen claim it has been fixed by simply tightening a clasp on the transmission cable. Why was the clasp loose? I maintain this is a design flaw. If I had been trying to make a U turn in traffic or park on the street the result could have been horrific.. I am petrified to drive the car again and the dealership and Volkswagen want to sweep this incident under the rug. Please investigate and prevent this from happening to someone else. Thank you

- Washington D.C., DC, USA

Jun 262012

Jetta

After less than 3 minutes of operation, the vehicle can stall under a specific set of circumstances. The incidences (13 and counting in 2 months) always occur when in second or third gear at ~30-35 mpg. The driver is slowing down (as to stop at a red light) and then accelerates (light changes to green). About 2-3 seconds after acceleration begins the engine stalls and must be restarted. The engine just cuts out during acceleration.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Aug 172012

Jetta 5-cyl

Hello, purchased a VW Jetta SE on 7/20/12 and almost 1 month after the purchase I was driving on a local highway at apx. 50 mph around 5:30pm when car headlights blinked and car died (stalled). Attempted to re-start a car without any success. Since VW dealer was closed already - called a local auto shop and they towed a car to a shop to find an issue. Mechanic could not see anything obvious so he re-set a computer in my car and he was able to start it. Drove home. Later in the evening - drove to pick-up some food and on the way home (inside a development) - while making a left turn at apx. 15-18 mph - pressed brakes and realized I had none and at the same time car stalled and since it was raining and I was already slightly turning left - car slid in the direction on my turn and right rear tire hit the curb, tire fall off, car hit a street sign and an electric pool (both fell to the ground) and brought me to a complete stop on the grass. Police was contacted and a car was towed to a nearest body shop. Filing a complaint with VW - will see what they have to say.

- Morganville, NJ, USA