Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: VW updated the Jetta's interior and added new features like backup cameras to certain trims. Time will tell if these adjustments start falling apart.

2013 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 302014

Jetta 5-cyl

August 30, 2014 this 2013 VW Jetta 2.5se has had an intermittent problem with turning the car off and removing the key from the ignition since about 10,000 miles. Today it went from an infrequent problem that was hard to duplicate to a full-blown problem. It will no longer work at all and is now non-functional. It is not the steering wheel locking mechanism that causes this. Prior to today, the key would randomly not turn to shut off the car or turn to start. A slight push in and jiggle of the key would solve the issue. I only have a house key and a small VW key fob, nothing heavy hanging on it that would have caused any damage or wear to the cylinder. Today, the car would not shut off at all. Twisting, pulling, pushing, and any jiggling would not turn the ignition into the off position for engine shut off and key removal. Fortunately, my vehicle is a manual shift and I was able to shut the engine off by dumping the clutch. The electrical system was still on due to the key being in the on-position. I had to remove the battery cable from the terminal to shut the electrical system off and not drain the battery. Multiple tries by various people will not resolve the issue. The dealerships are all closed now, until after labor day, and we cannot get the car serviced until after that. I will be making an appointment for a warranty repair but being ignition cylinder issue, I felt it should be reported.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jul 142014

Jetta 4-cyl

So my vehicle is a 2013.5 VW Jetta gli (NHTSA does not have options to list the variant of the car). So the car stalled on me the first time in July when I was getting of the exit....just lost complete engine power...and basically the car shut off on me. The steering got really stiff and the brakes became hard and it was an extremely horrific situation. The battery indicator came on...and then after cranking the car back up it ran fine. Took it to the dealer the day after (because they needed an appointment)...they said nothing was wrong with car and they replaced the crank shaft sensor as an "educated guess". anyways after about a week....the car shut off on me twice within a 5 minute difference. Each time the battery light came on and that was it. And the last time the epc light came on as well. Dealer cannot find any problems with my car since they cannot replicate an intermittent issue. So this is a major safety hazard...and not a good feeling to lose control of your car in the middle of the road.I have lost complete faith in VW and my car.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Aug 202013

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 85 mph, the electrical board became inoperable and the brakes seized. All of the indicators on the instrument panel illuminated. The engine stalled and the vehicle was towed. The dealer stated that the safety pin that was connected to the electrical board was not fully engaged. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Sep 012013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The blue tooth system in all of the 2013 and 2014 Jetta wagons in defective. Volkswagen knows the system is defective, the dealers know it is defective, but they continue to market and sell cars with no proposed fix to the system. I have been told that all of the 2013 and 2014 Jetta wagons have this problem but I only state that mine has had blue tooth problems from day one, calls dropped, unintelligible calls, did not dial, etc. I believe both Volkswagen and the dealers have conspired to continue to market the cars and just tell the public that they are working on a fix when in fact they are not. At least that is what I have been told. This is a very serious safety issue in any state where cell phones are prohibited from being used, like Utah. I believe that all of the Jetta wagons should be recalled, all sales of new wagons stopped, and that both the dealers and Volkswagen should be fined for knowingly marketing and selling a defective car.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated and the steering wheel seized. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and the failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the control relay device. The failure recurred two weeks after the repairs were performed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not available.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Jetta 5-cyl

I went through some water (not much) andthen when I came to a stop light I stopped the car. After less than a minute of being stopped the car stalled and the battery light came on. The battery is new and I just purchased this car in December 2013 and it is a year model 2013. I have never had any issues until now. I went to turn a corner and the light came back on, car stalled, and steering became very tight. I am not sure what this issue is, but the car is only about a year old (if even that). Very frustrating.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 012014

Both of my low beam lights went out at the same time while driving at night and my car would not turn off. My car was running and could not be turned off.. the car had to be taken to the dealership to turn off the car. If the dealership had been closed or the car required gas or I was traveling out of town. I would not have any recourse but to run the car until it cut off but still the keys would be stuck in the ignition. Both incident are very serious safety concerns..the ignition lock had to be replaced and both lights has to be replaced after only 42, 000.. this is not routine maintenance. These are both serious concerns that must be addressed. VW customer care refuse to stand behind its product and cost was out of pocket.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the air bag light sensor continued to illuminate at random. The warning sensor indicated that the air bag was turned off. The contact experienced difficulty when turning the key in the ignition multiple times at random. The key also became stuck in the off position. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure more than once. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20000.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jun 152013

Jetta 5-cyl

While I was driving, the car shut itself off. There were three separate incidents. The dealership kept the car for two weeks and re-programmed the computer after conferring with VW.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Jun 122013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My vehicle when entering traffic has a delay of 1-2 seconds when trying to accelerate from a stop. When I am trying to get on/off a highway and that delay happens, the traffic has to slow to keep from hitting me as by the time it happens then surges, it is too late to stop. My speed needle was so inaccurate and bounced so much I got a speeding ticket. It was 14 mph off. They replaced the cluster, but now both the tachometer and speedometer bounce enough to not be sure your speed. Electronic fan stayed on for the entire 90 minutes I was in a coffee shop after driving only 5 miles and had been running ac. Ac when not on full fan will have periods of hot and humid like the system temporarily shuts down, and of course, the car hops and surges at slow speeds in addition as you are decelerating with the foot off the accelerator, it will jerk you down as it shifts down.

- Cheney, WA, USA