1998 Volkswagen Passat brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Passat:

1998 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Dec 072008

The ABS light stays on, the brake light flashes, the engine oil light comes on and the tachometer goes to 0 and stops working even though I am accelerating. The control module was the culprit and it would cost $1450 and there was no used part available and it is a dealer only part.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Apr 102008

As an oem safety feature, now I believe required, the ABS control module on my 1998 Volkswagen Passat, has failed, leaving this feature inoperative. Luckily for my self this has not become a burden or caused injury, but I'm sure that others are not as lucky as I have been.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jun 062005

My ABS computer failed on my 1998 V6 Passat. This seems to be a common occurrence and there should have been a recall on this defective part. It is dangerous and causes irregular braking and flashing dashboard lights.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012007

ABS/ brake light are on, chimes sound when vehicle is turned on and won't turn off.

- Ventura, CA, USA