1998 Volkswagen Passat seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Passat:

1998 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Mar 122005

Passat

I was involved in a collision on 3/11 where a woman cut me off by making a left hand turn as she was headed toward me. The front passenger side of my car stuck the side of her car. The front right side of my car was smashed in but no airbag on the passenger side deployed. I was traveling about 30 mph and have not idea how fast the other driver was going. My car has been declared totaled. My passenger sufferd a bruised chest from her seat belt. Should either of the airbags in my car have deployed? thanks for your help.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Aug 032000

Passat

Side driver's airbag inflated without collision. Because of debris lodged under the front carriage from something I may have run over, VW repair technicians suggest this may have been enough to trigger the airbag mechanism. This seems extremely unlikely and I am concerned that there was a malfunction of the airbag and would like this investigated. My insurance company has been contacted and will look at the car soon.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Feb 062000

Passat

Vehicle was involved in a head-on frontal collision at 45 mph during which both air bags failed to deploy. Dealer notified.

- Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

Nov 271999

Passat

While driving at about 40 mph another vehicle ran a red light an hit consumer on front right passenger's side. Upon impact, airbags did not deploy. Car is now at body shop.

- E. Paloaldo, CA, USA