$1,900.00

1. replace (tcm) (1 reports)
2000 Volkswagen Passat transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Volkswagen Passat:

2000 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Feb 102014

Passat GLS 2.8L

I never had a 2000 VW Passet before and didn't know anything about them. Had read good and bad before buying this one. I bought this used from a Third party with 180,000 Miles. It look good and ran good and for $2500.00. I drove it for 200 miles with no issues and was really getting use to the car. We had about four days of bad rain recently and got into the car on Monday to leave. It started okay and was able to turn it around to head out the driveway. Stop at the top of the driveway to let someone in the car that was going with me. We noticed a big puddle of standing water on the right side passenger floor board. Also the car would not move due to the transmission lock not releasing and several dash lights coming on and stop engine light. Reminded me of a short.

The car was blocking the driveway so I couldn't even get my pickup out to leave. After playing around with this car for a few hours I was able to get it into into drive to take it to a VW Shop. In which I learned the (TCM) was bad due to water and corrosion and needed to be replaced. A new TCM $1500.00 part and a week to get it. $1900.00 with Labor. Later I found out this is caused by the drains for the sunroof clogging and water then goes onto the floor board in-which the TCM is under the passenger Floor Board. It's suppose to be sealed but this happens a lot I see. VW should pickup the bill for not securing these units away form water and the design problem with the sunroof drains. Now I am spending what I paid to buy the car and even more concerned about future repairs after all I have read.

- , Auburn, CA, USA