2001 Volkswagen Passat cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Passat:

2001 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jul 252011

Passat GLX V6

This has been the worst car I have ever owned. I cannot believe the lack of quality in this car. I always thought that VW was a good brand with a good reputation but I have seriously contemplated letting this car drive over a cliff (without me in it)!!

Today's problem is the STOP! light and check coolant, refer to service manual. I also noticed the temperature gauge really high as if the car is overheating. I pulled over and the engine appeared to be fine, didn't smell, no steam. I don't know if its the thermostat or just a sensor. Either way, this is the last straw with this car. I will never own a VW ever!!!!!! Please do not buy VW. It's sad that I would buy a Kia before another VW LOL.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 252011

Passat GLX V6

This car has been a nightmare for us. We bought it used and now I know why there are so many of these for sale. This morning as I arrived at work, all of a sudden the STOP light starts flashing on the dash and saying check coolant, refer to service manual. OMG!! I pulled over. Checked the collant, which the reservoir is still full and the engine did not appear to be hot. I didn't smell it, see any steam, and everything appeared normal. Is this possibly a stuck thermostat or a bad sensor? The tempoerature gauge actually went up to just below the red line.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 012007

Passat GLS

Every morning for the last three weeks I start my car and within 30 seconds the STOP engine warning comes on telling me to check the coolant and refer to the service manual. My car never overheats. After a few minutes of the engine running, sometimes if I re-start the car it won't come back on. Sometimes it happens after the car has been running for a while.

- , Clifton, NJ, USA