2003 Volkswagen Passat brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jun 102015

Passat

The contact owns a 2003 Volkswagen Passat. While driving 50 mph, the brakes engaged independently and the vehicle shook violently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Providence, RI, USA

Apr 212015

Passat

Problems with the ABS control unit fails after few years. This could lead to an accident since the car cannot stop in the time & distance originally specified when car was purchased. Also, the smog stations are not able to read the obd2 connector due to this issue, which forces you to buy a new module for almost $600. The most important in this issue is the safety in stopping and not having your brakes lock, which also causes the car to skid in sudden stops and cause an accident. There is a blinking warning light that comes on the dashboard that points to the dashboard.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Passat

ABS light and brake light on Volkswagen states faulty control module.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Aug 122015

Passat

My dash showed 2 lights a red break light and yellow ABS it keeps beeping. It started randomly one morning when I turned my car on its been doing it for 6 months now

- Lacenter, KY, USA

Mar 152014

Passat 6-cyl

I took my car to Volkswagen dealership to find out why my brake light was on and why my brakes would flutter at times when using them. I got estimate that my brake reservoir was bad and the sensor that it would be okay to drive till I got fixed in a week. I faxed my warranty papers to dealership to find out to see what was covered..on Saturday 5 days later when I was driving 35 miles an hour tried to stop and brake pedal went to floor had nothing to stop me but the car in front of me. I was issued a ticket had my car towed and I. am having headaches and neck pain which I'm getting treated..I don't feel as if that car was safe to ne driving..

- Ladylake, FL, USA

May 202013

Passat 4-cyl

ABS module failure, ABS light on brake light blinking and then asr light on, happens randomly, no specific reason, dry weather, humid, day or night. Still comes on randomly, no speeding, problem goes away when car is turned off.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012012

Passat 4-cyl

ABS control module on my 2003 VW Passat failed. This appears to be a common failure that disables the ABS.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Passat 4-cyl

The ABS light comes on on the instrument panel followed by the brake light and sometimes the anti-skid indicator. This is a common and expensive problem for Volkswagen for many years: tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadid=2447&start=40&tstart=0 Volkswagen should be held to account.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 032003

Passat

The contact owns a 2003 Volkswagen Passat. The contact was traveling 30 mph when the ABS warning light and brake light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage 56,000.

- Cicero, NY, USA