7.6

2003 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Mar 132013

Passat GL V6

The dealer Volkswagen of Santa Monica fixed car now costing me a lot of money and time from work.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 152010

Passat Wagon V8

the check engine light comes on and goes off. i was told the transmission was needing fixed

plus when you go to drive there's a hesitation then it goes fast.

- , Anderson, CA, USA

Aug 012010

Passat V6

Love the Car but since rolling 100k starting to have problems.. didn't Know it was the worst year for the model

- , Mission, TX, USA

Feb 262011

Passat GLS 1.8t

I just bought a used 2003 Passat a week ago, yes that's right a week ago 2/19/2011 and the check engine light is on and the car won't start 02/26/2011. I have no idea what the problem is and had to have it towed back to the dealer in Middle River MD. Out of no where the car stopped starting and now i am waiting to hear what the problem is? I am fearful of the worse because i put down $2500 and i am praying i can get my money back and get out of this nightmare.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 262011

Passat GLS 1.8t

Check engine usually comes on after the STOP TURN ENGINE OFF warning. Overnight it went off once the next morning.

Update from Feb 4, 2011: Car was fixed for $164.19. Replaced oil pressure switch.

- , East Orange, NJ, USA

May 252010

Passat 1.8L

My check engine light has come on, initially the dealer said its probably on because perhaps I didn't close the cap on gas tank tightly enough, now they're saying its a $400 issue.

- , Lisle, IL, USA

Dec 082008

Passat GLX V6

I purchased this car with 50K miles on it. I quickly found out that the car in excellent appearance has major problems. No leakage of oil on the driveway, no visible smoke when driving but.....1 quart of oil consumed in less than 1000 miles of driving.

Now the engine light is on and the dealer says if the engine runs I can ignore the light until the next service.

This sounds like fundamentally wrong.

No more Volkswagen for this family

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Jun 222009

Passat GLS 1.8L T

Very frustrating because I do a lot of highway driving. I couldn't pull onto a freeway with other cars miles away/ that's how sluggish the engine is with 1 cylinder misfire. due to oil in the spark socket.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 102008

Passat V6

I have my car checked with the diagnostic machine and still nothing was done.

- , Robstown, TX, USA

Jul 082008

Passat 1.8t

Check engine light came on car lost power and sounded like it was missing something awful. took it in and they said that it was a module that controlled the spark.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 042007

Passat 1,8T

My wife was driving the car to work and it started missing badly. The car never actually died but lost all of its power. Have checked what I can check and have found no problems. The nearest dealer is about 50 miles away and there is no way I can get the car there. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA