2. oil pan screen was replaced (2 reports)
  3. paid dealer $2600 to clean out sludge (2 reports)
  4. replaced oil screen (2 reports)
  5. new rods and components and possibly new turbo (1 reports)
  6. replace oil pump & intake tube, clean oil pan (1 reports)
2003 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 132008

Passat 1.8L

Never received a warning that this was a problem and how to avoid it. If i knew this was an issue I would have had the oil changed ever 2000 miles forget about 4-5k. This is obviously a design flaw based on the reoccurrence I see on the web.

My first Passat wagon 2002 caught fire because of the problems with the coils. VW was nice enough to replace the entire car as my wife was stranded with my 2 yr old daughter and unborn son. The car burned down to the frame. Plus my 5 year old daughter managed to break the exterior door handle so that the door could not be closed. How is that possible?

The car has great performance but I couldn't recommend it to anyone. I will never buy another VW.

- , Glen Rock, NJ, USA