1. replace cv joints (2 reports)
2003 Volkswagen Passat suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jan 032008

Passat GLX 2.8L V6

When I took my car to Volkswagen to have an estimate, I was told it would cost around $700 per side to get my CV axles replaced. I couldn't believe it.. so I took my car to a long time family mechanic to get a cheaper estimate. He told me he could replace both axles for $400. After 2,000 miles after repair, right CV axle was out again and clicking as I went around corners. Problem got so bad car was shaking horrible at anything over 30 mph. Just happened around that time a car had run me off the road and did extensive undercarriage damage and had several engine components replaced, including the right CV axle.. well 5k miles after that now, I believe the right axle may be failing again since car is beginning to click when coming to stops as tranny downshifts. I just don't know what I'm going to do with this car anymore!!

- , Waco, TX, USA

Jan 262008

Passat GLS 1.8L T

I went to the dealership for my oil change. I was approx 1200 miles early but I was going on a trip and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to go over the miles. I had just been there approx 1000 miles prior to this have other repairs made to my car. While there I was informed by the service manager that my CV joints needed replacing. He told me that this would not be covered under my warranty. Keep in mind I had only purchased my car approx. 4-5 months prior to this and at that time it was "Certified Pre-loved Car." They told me if I had noticed it myself, before the boots tore, it would be covered. But for some reason they just did not see the damage when I had been there less than a month before. They told me I should "slow down around curves."

- , Eatonton, GA, USA