1. replaced water pump & thermostat (3 reports)
2004 Volkswagen Passat cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Passat:

2004 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Nov 192010

Passat GLS 1.8t

I was at the dealer for 5 hours. The parts were about 130 -140 the maintenance they charged me was 500+. I was at the dealer at about 10:45 am and they did not start work on my car until after providing me with the estimate which was around 1:30 - 1:45pm. The work was completed at approximately 3:30 pm. How can that be 5 hours of labor, who knows?

- , Miami, FL, USA

Oct 042010

Passat 1.8L Turbo

I was driving on 10/4/10 when temp light came on. I pulled over and checked the coolant and it was full. I got in the car, started it up and the temp was normal. The car idled for a bit and never got hot. I started to drive again and in about two blocks the temp is hot. This goes one for three more cycles until I call it quits and call a tow truck.

Repair shop is seeing the same thing I am...when idling it is fine. Try and drive it and it get hot. No codes are coming out when the car is hooked to the scope. The suspect is the water pump and its internal plastic parts. So for $1000.00 I am gettting a new waterpump, timing belt(since we are here) and Thermostat. They are also going to check out the radiator when they pull it to get the pump out. I drive imports so Im not sticking money into them before 100,000 miles. Looks like it is time to go back to another Accord from Honda.

- , Mpls, MN, USA

Dec 172009

Passat 1.8L

My 2004 volkswagen Passat overheated & engine light came on around Dec.08, and it was a really cold night, bout 20F degrees out. this happened late at night, around 6pm and was super dark out, heading home from work. It was so frustrating, had to drive slow & pull over every 10 minutes to cool off the car. Finally made it home and took it to nearby auto repair shop, the had to replace the water pump because line was broken and also replace the thermostat. A year later, the gasket was broken, i was told that it was made of plastic as many other parts from volkswagen passats. so had to replace gasket & thermostat again!!! i've spent so much mone in repairs for this car, along with having to replace all 4 coils!!!

It is very frustrating, i really don't like my car. i will never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever by a volkswagen again!!!!!!

- , Cheshire, CT, USA