2006 Volkswagen Passat electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Passat:

2006 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Nov 062006

Passat 4-cyl

I have had recurrent issues with my 2006 Passat. I just got the car back from the dealer after being at the dealer for repairs for 25 days, and I was trying to brake at the end of my street and the car did not brake. The pedal was very hard -- I could barely push it in with two feet. I activated the parking brake, and the car stopped -- thank god, I was only going 10 mph, but if I rolled into the intersection I could have been killed. When the car stopped, the check engine light came on, the engine began revving up and down and the headlights were flickering or surging and getting brighter and dimmer and brighter very rapidly. I turned on the interior lights to better view my dash, and the interior lights were surging/flickering as well. In one of my previous visits for dealer repairs, they told me they put in a brand new electrical system. How can this be happening again? this car is beyond repair. I believe I have a lemon and it is dangerous to continue driving this car. I cannot believe that after a 25-day stint in the dealer repair center it's still not working. This is the last of many trips to the dealer for repairs. Incidentally, while I bought the car new, I bought it after using it as a loaner when my 2006 jetta tdi was in the shop more than I drove it during my period of ownership. That car had some issues as well, so when I liked the Passat I decided to trade it in. I've only driven this Passat for less than 5,000 miles and it is terrible. My wife drives a 2006 jetta tdi (a different one) which runs great. How can only one of three cars purchased in less than a six month period function properly. This is seriously impacting my views of VW quality. I have trouble writing VW and the word quality in the same sentence. Thank god I didn't die tonight.

- Northampton, PA, USA