2006 Volkswagen Passat steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Passat:

2006 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Feb 242010

For the past few months my steering column light has been flashing on and off. It states steering column defect. Sometimes the light turns off after I restart my car a few times. I figured it was an electric issue. Now for the past week or so, my car has problems turning on and it continues to state steering column defective. It took 10 times to get my car started today. My steering column light, battery light, parking brake light and engine all came on each time I tried to start my car without success. I took it to the dealership and before I finished explaining myself, they knew exactly what was wrong. They will have to replace my steering column. They told me it would be very expensive to fix, but my car is certified so it may be covered. There are over 40 complaints regarding this issue and Volkswagen needs to recall whatever is causing this problem!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012010

I have a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T with 30,000 miles. I've had the following problems over the last year, key will not come out in park, steering wheel locks, car continues to run even without the key in the ignition. I brought these items to the dealer's attention, but was brushed off because they couldn't get the vehicle to "do it again." Now the power steering warning light is on. VW dealership says I need a new steering column. If not replaced, the steering wheel could lock while driving. I was told replacing the steering column should fix all the above problems.

- Boise, ID, USA

Oct 102007

1st occurrence, steering column lock warning came on upon ignition, immediately disabled the car. Tried again several times before it eventually started. Same problem occurred several times a week with increasing frequency until it eventually happened in rush hour traffic, while the car was running and in motion. The problem currently happens every time the car is started. We first reported the problem to dealer "a" in October of 2007, however, because they could not replicate our complaint, they treated it as an isolated event. We continued to report the problem at every service visit to dealer "a", without resolution. Upon taking the car to dealer "B", they reported that the steering column module and comfort module are both defective, causing the steering column lock. Dealer "B" also stated that they see 2-3 cars a week for the steering column lock defect and that the repair would cost $1500, despite that we first reported the problem while under warranty. Upon further investigation, a temporary method to circumvent the problem before the car is started was discovered on a forum full of hundreds of reports from other Passat owners with the same defect. ( additionally, VW ireland has developed a simple software fix for the problem that was covered in a major irish national news publication, however VW America denies such a fix exists and refuses to cooperate with VW ireland or local dealers or issue a recall. This is clearly an issue wherein an inexpensive software fix would cause VW to either lose out on a $1500 mechanical repair and have to reimburse those who have already paid for the fix. Consequently, they refuse to acknowledge the prevalence of the defect which would result in a recall.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 302010

For 2 times the steering column lock and a warning light on the dash had appeared. May cause steering well malfunction. Risk of lose control. After restart the engine the problem was gone, no errors on ECU.

- Toronto - Canada, 00, USA

Dec 152009

VW 2006 Passat 2.0 T steering column defective signal and the car doesn't start. After doing internet search, it seems many other customers are having the same problem with Passats and jettas. It seems the VW company should have a recall and fix this problem this seems to be generalized. Many of us are being told to replace the whole unit to have solution.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 272009

My 2006 Passat will shut down while driving and he steering lock light will come on prior to this happening. Very concerned about my family's safety.

- Gillettte, WY, USA

Apr 132007

07/19/2006: Purchased a brand new 2006 Volkswagen Passat 04/13/2007: Radio will not eject cd- the stereo system had to be replaced due to faulty radio 12/06/2007: Car will not start called tow company, upon arrival checked battery and it was not the problem; tow company could not get the car to start; car was towed to lasher Volkswagen 12/14/2007: Car will not start again, same issue as before on 12/06/2007; called the tow company and had it towed to lasher dealership; after numerous calls back and forth, VW dealership and manufacturer cannot figure out the problem nor have they fixed the vehicle yet 01/12/08: Picked up the vehicle from lasher VW seemed to work okay 01/14/08: While driving home from work, door locks began to unlock and lock by themselves and while driving on the freeway; also, suddenly light indicators (blinkers) did not work, high beams did not work, windshield wipers did not work, steering wheel indicator light came on, tire pressure light came on, cruise control light came on; this was an extremely dangerous situation 01/17/08: While driving to berkeley, on the freeway, the blinkers stopped working, and could not get the windshield wipers to work; locks began to lock and unlock while driving; telephone call again, to lasher VW to express great concern and worried about being stranded; was told to bring it in on Friday 01/1/08 at 7:30 am; once we arrived in berkeley, we parked the car and turned off the ignition the radio was still on and the headlights did not shut off; we started up the car again and the same thing happened; when locking the car with the alarm, the doors locked but the alarm did not turn on; lights remained on for about 20 minutes, fearing that the battery would run low and we would be stranded 08/05/09: Took the car to elk grove VW and told that warranty will not cover any of the repairs 10/24/09-12/14/09: The car has not been able to start since 10/23/09 and sitting in our garage & now at neillo VW.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 072009

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. While driving on a bridge at approximately 40 mph the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the vehicle stalled. After a few minutes he was able to restart the vehicle. He will take the vehicle to the dealer to be diagnosed. A report was filed with the manufacturer, but he was not provided with any assistance. The failure and current mileages were 72,000.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Nov 122009

2006 Passat sedan defective steering column message in dashboard monitor.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Oct 192009

2006 Passat that won't start and has steering column defective light come on. Told I need new column and comfort control module also for $1500 that I don't have. I am so sick of this car. Lots of big problems but they were under warranty, now I am out of warranty by 5000 miles. This should be a recall with so many customers having the same problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 272009

My 2006 Volkswagen Passat sometimes will not start-- steering column lock defect is the error message. This has left my car inoperable on several occasions, ... eventually it does start. I am planning to have the steering column replaced for $1500. This happens almost everyday now.

- Porterville, CA, USA

Oct 162009

I own a VW Passat 2006 and keep getting a steering wheel column lock defective message in my hud. This stalls out the car and takes restarts of ignition just to be able to drive. I have read this is a very common problem and costs around1500 dollars to fix. This is unacceptable and unnecessary expense on the consumer end when VW should really back there product better.

- New Tazewell, TN, USA

Sep 132009

My dash keeps telling me steering column lock is defective. My car won't start half the time. I have to leave my car running if I plan on getting right back in.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Aug 012009

Defective steering column lock message keeps coming up on 2006 VW Passat started happening over the summer now 1 1/2 months later it is happening more frequently.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Sep 032009

1) the car has 67,000 miles and it has been serviced every 5,000 miles as advised by the manufacturer. 2) the car wouldn't start and it came up with a warning message that read "steering column lock failure." It came only once, but failure of this stationary part could result in locking the steering wheel while driving. As per thousands of blog threads, this is a common problem on Volkswagen Passats. 3) the part had to be replaced and the manufacturer (Volkswagen) no longer uses the same part. They use a new improved part that doesn't seem to have this problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 242009

Every couple of days, 'steering column defective' message appears on 2006 VW Passat screen, and car won't start. After 5 or 6 tries the car eventually starts. I see postings similar to this in many internet forums regarding 2006 Passat.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Aug 052009

Volkswagen 2006 2.0T Passat has a defective steering wheel lock that is very dangerous. I know of numerous Passat 2006 drivers with the same problem. It is unsafe and this should be recalled. Thank god I was not driving when it occurred. It is very expensive to fix and I am just out of the warranty. It is unfair and unsafe. It has happened to so many Passat drivers. Please do something. The car was difficult to tow because everything is locked up on the car, couldn't put it into neutral, all wheels were locked, brakes, etc. The service person at the dealership said that the keys are not being read by the car and the steering wheel column needs to be replaced for over $1300. I can not afford to pay for this especially since it is a VW defect.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 142009

2006 VW Passat 3.6 4-motion. 65K miles. Steering column lock failure. While on my honeymoon trip with my new wife to vancouver B.C. my car failed to start as usual. Key is placed in dash and pressed into starting position. Car starts and then abruptly engine stops. Very intermittent. Problem is worrying because it could potentially happen while driving in traffic.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jul 192009

2006 VW Passat 2.0T. Steering column lock failure.

- Watervliet, NY, USA

Jul 302008

On several occasions leading up to 07-30-08, vehicle would not start properly. VW reprogrammed keys but refused to cover costs even though vehicle was still under warranty. Around April 2009, vehicle began having problems cranking again. Vehicle would start then the engine would immediately die, but not every time. Condition got worse at the beginning of June and had the battery and alternator checked out. They were fine. On one occasion the vehicle computer gave a "steering wheel lock defective" error. Took vehicle back to dealer on 06-16-2009. This time they said steering column control module and comfort module would need to be replaced and that this problem was not related to earlier problem that should have been covered under warranty. Had vehicle repaired at different VW dealer at own cost. I kept the old parts.

- Alexandria, AL, USA