2006 Volkswagen Passat steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Passat:

2006 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jun 302016

We have had trouble for the past week with our car not cranking in the afternoon. We figured it was the alternator causing the battery to die. We replaced the alternator. So the car did great for only a few minutes, then when backing out of the driveway, the steering column light came on, the steering wheel locked up, and the car continued to run. If we had been going down the road like I have read hundreds of other complaints for this, we could have been killed. Why has this not been recalled as many complaints have been made" the steering column light comes on going down the road and everything locks up for someone to die. Will Volkswagen then decide its time to recall it" now the key will not come out of the ignition and it will not crank at all.

- Hartford, AL, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V613000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fulton, CA, USA

Nov 022010

My Volkswagen Passat has a steering wheel lock warning light come on.. manual says the steering could be compromised... Volkswagen of America did want acknowledge the fact that many cars had this problem all over the world.. the problem was eventually fixed. Now, less than 10,000 later, I have the problem again. This is a known issue that VW doesn't not want to acknowledge or take care of. There should be a safety recall done on this matter as it could be very dangerous. In my case not only did it affect the steering, but it also would not let me start the car at all. The problem was intermittent at first but got progressively worst. It got to where I could not start the car at all.

- Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Oct 262015

Attempted to start my vehicle by pressing the key fob into the ignition. Car did not start and the message "steering column defective" was displayed. Attempted to start the car again, but this time the car failed to even turn the engine over. In addition, the key fob cannot be extracted from the ignition. Now the car is immobile. I researched this issue and quickly discovered that this is a prevalent issue with this make and model. Many other's have voiced their complaint with VW regarding this issue but despite this, VW still has yet to even acknowledge that there is a manufacturing defect. The car, being bought through a VW dealership pre-owned, was not under warranty. The car has less than 80K miles on it and had only accrued 10K miles since it was purchased, by me and from the dealership, 14 months ago.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

May 142015

My car suffers from a "steering column lock defective" issue for which VW of America has issued a recall as it is a very common problem on this year of the car. For some reason my car was not included in the recall (by VIN), and now that the piece is starting to fail they will not cover it. It is a clear defect and it is well documented, but they still want me to pay out of pocket ($800) to cover the repair costs. If this part fails, I will be left stranded with no way of turning the car on. A lot of money has already been spent fixing this car as this was a problematic year for this model. I do not want to spend more money fixing what is clearly a defect and something that VW has recognized is a problem and is fixing in other calls from the same year. Thank you.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Steering column lock defective -just like all the other complaints that are listed. Does someone have to die in order for this to be investigated? I don't know how many more pages of complaints you need.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 232014

Steering lock defective - should be a recall on the part of VW - I have a VW Passat 06 and keep on getting this problem.

- Elmhust, NY, USA

Oct 172014

Passat 4-cyl

Steering column lock defective light came on and the car would randomly die out turn back on and randomly die out again. Almost causing an accident.

- Canterbury , CT, USA

Apr 042014

Passat 4-cyl

The problem started off small. My Passat one day started and shut off. Over the next couple months the problem got much worse. First it took a couple tries to start and now typically takes about 15 minutes to start. The steering wheel light pops up and the cars warning states "steering column lock defective". today 6/8/14 I was driving 60 mph on the highway and the car stalls. Luckily we made it to the side of the highway. With a crying baby in the backseat, I finally got the car to start after 2 hours of trying!

- Anoka, MN, USA

May 132014

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that when attempting to start the vehicle, the steering colum lock defective warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Potomac , MD, USA

Jan 182014

Passat 4-cyl

Electronic emergency brake fault; was driving on January 18,2014. My daughter was driving about 35 mph when this emergency brake light started flashing yellow. Also there was a red brake light that was flashing and beeping three times. She got the car under control mind you she is only 17 and she just bought this car from campus auto here in fort Dodge, ia on the 10th and he told her nothing was wrong with the car. Everything has went wrong with this car that can go wrong. She pulled over and read in her manual that with the beeping 3 times and the red light indicator said that she was suppose to get it to a trusted mechanic right away. So she did the smart thing and called me to have the car taken to a mechanic. But what if she would have been on the highway and this would have happened. She would have lost control of this car on a highway. Please look into these Passat. There is something seriously wrong with them. Wheel bearings are bad in the rear. Fuel pump went bad. Coils burn. These are all dangerous things. Please help.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Nov 262013

Passat 4-cyl

I have code steering lock column defective this is my second VW Passat with same problem.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Nov 242013

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the steering warning light illuminated on as the vehicle stalled. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number 05V540000 (steering) and called the manufacturer, who advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic for a diagnostic test. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Sep 262012

Went to start my car after work, it turned over and stalled immediately. I get the error message 'steering column lock is defective' followed by 3 loud beeps. This issue had me stranded for about a half hour until many times of trying, it finally started and ran. From what I have seen this is a very common issue and VW dealers are wanting on average $1800 to repair.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Oct 242012

Passat 6-cyl

After starting car it would immediately stall this would happen over and over again until eventually it would start during this time I would see on the cars display a warning that the steering column lock was defective. This issue continues to happen intermittently and sometimes the key will get stuck in the ignition and until you get it out it will not allow you to try and restart the car. The key can be removed by pressing the button on the gear shift three times in succession. I found that bit of information on a car forum but not in the VW manual. After looking on the internet I have found that this is a pretty common issue with the VW Passat spanning several years.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 252013

Passat 4-cyl

Got warning message that 'steering lock was defective'.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jul 122011

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would stall with the illumination of the column steering lock warning light. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 83,000 and the current mileage was 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jan 212011

Passat 4-cyl

When I use the key to start my 2006 Volkswagen Passat it will not start, the steering wheel locks and the car immobilizes. I cannot start the car from 15 minutes to 1 hour. The key will not come out. When I call for help all anyone tells me is to turn the steering wheel to the left and right, but this does not work. I have encountered this problem about 3 to 5 times a day. I purchased this car in Sept. 2010 and this has happened every day since I purchased this car. When I took it back, I was told they could not find anything wrong and the car started. The engine light also comes on and they can't find anything wrong. As I write this, the car is immobolized in my garage and will not start, I have missed appointments over and over. I went on to try to find out how to correct this and found out that several people has or has had this problem with their Volkswagen Passat and the solution seems to be to replace the steering column. I do not have any money to pay for such a big job, especially since I have not had this car for six months. This car was sold with this problem.

- Byron, GA, USA

Jan 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 346. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph the front end of the vehicle started shaking making it impossible for him to control the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop who stated that the left tie rod arm knot became loose. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but they refused to honor the recall ( 05V540000) since the VIN was not included. The failure and current mileages were 78,700.

- Imperial Beach , CA, USA

Jan 072011

Passat 4-cyl

I got 2006 VW Passat 2.0T - 77,000miles. Last week, I got engine light came on during the drive and went to dealership and they checked computer system then fixed air filter housing. I paid $585. I don't understand how it can break, but I don't have choice. And next day on the driving it happen again and I went to dealership again. This time they told me PCV valve was not working so another fix cost $281. Last September I did regular maintenance service and they told me everything good. But after every month it happened again and again, first problem was steering columns......I paid $485 second problem was battery........I paid $130 third problem was engine light came on I paid $585 and this time another engine light came on $281 within two day. Now I knew VW cars are pieces of junks. It is really junks.

- Houston, TX, USA