1.9

2008 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Passat:

2008 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jan 092017

Passat

My vehicle (2008 VW Passat) started having acceleration issues and would only go up to 40 mph as well as also having a rough start up when turning my car on. I proceeded to take it into the dealership to have this looked at and at first they claimed that I needed a new high pressure fuel pump which would cost me around $700. Later in the day, I received a call back telling me that my intake camshaft was broken and that they could not make the repair without replacing this as well. Now my total was up to $2000. After doing some research and calling around to compare prices, I talked to a repairman that had to replace his camshaft in the same year VW car because of similar issues. I found that my model 2008 VW Passat was built with a faulty intake camshaft revision B which was found to be abrasive and causing friction with the fuel pump. Since 2008 VW found a sneaky way to replace this with a revision a camshaft and not recall the previous part, which has now, over time caused my $2,000 problem and could have put my family at risk of an accident due to acceleration issues. I guess this repair would have fallen under my powertrain warranty, which has since expired, but most car issues take longer than the warranty period anyways, especially those which occur over time with faulty parts. I have talked to VW and they cannot do anything for me and there is not an open recall on this part and never has been. The issue was just pushed under the rug, hoping to be ignored forever. Until now, I will not allow other to suffer what I am going through now and VW has a bad reputation with being dishonest right now so why wouldn't they hide yet another issue? please look into this for me and provide me with further steps to take action.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 242016

Passat

Sometimes vehicle stalls upon starting and then will restart. The vehicle sometimes shakes and sputters and then stalls while stopped. Also, many times car will stall when vehicle is moving sometimes at high speeds with no warning and has almost resulted in numerous accidents due to stalling in middle of road or highway. This has been happening well over a year.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 242016

Passat

Engine would shut off within 1-90 seconds after starting, thereby disabling all accessories including power steering & brakes, causing loss O control of vehicle, sometimes while at high speed on highway. Diagnosed by local shop as a failure of the cam follower, which wore through, in turn causing failure of the high pressure fuel pump, as well as scoring of the intake camshaft, necessitating replacement of all three components.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Mar 012016

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 152015

Passat

Driving normally on the highway and the vehicle suddenly stopped running. Vehicle would not restart. Aaa advised and vehicle delivered to my local VW mechanic. I advised VW and they never heard of that problem. Fuel pump needed to be replaced. Car has 35000 miles. VW customer service advised me that the 2008 Passat is not included in any campaign, such as a recall or warranty extension. Fuel pump was replaced. Cost $600

- Pomoano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 252015

Passat

Warned by other owners of 2006-08 Passats, I inspected the high pressure fuel pump, cam, and cam follower for abnormal wear. The high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) cam follower has been recognized as a flaw requiring warranty extension to 120,000 miles on the 2006-2007 models. This fault causes failure of the cam follower and the fuel pump shaft wears into the camshaft causing loss of fuel/speed, acceleration, or engine power upon failure. My vehicle exhibits identical early wear and failure as 2006-07 models, though VW refuses to extend warranty coverage for 2008 cars. Further consideration of 2008 vehicles with the identical problem should be considered. Volkswagen customer service has been contacted by several affected owners in this matter and is unwilling to acknowledge that this flaw recognized in 06-07 vehicles extends into some 2008 vehicles and is denying coverage of this safety/emissions issue. VW customer care has denied any flaw or extended warranty for 2008 2.0T owners despite the warranty extension for prior model years for the exact same problem.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Feb 062015

Passat 4-cyl

Check engine light prompted me to take my 2008 VW Passat 2.0T to the dealer to have code read. Advised it was a malfunction of the camshaft and the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) cam follower that has been recognized as a flaw meriting warranty extension on the 2006-2007 models. I have been informed that the 2007 model year was produced through 7/2007. My vehicle was manufactured in 8/2007 and thus has the 2008 model year, but the dealership service manager informed me that this was the same parts and the same problem as the prior years with extended warranty. This fault causes premature wear on the cam follower and the hpfp rod wears into the camshaft causing loss of fuel/speed, acceleration, or engine power upon failure. Seeing as how my vehicle has the same build as those of previous model years that were included in the warranty extension, further consideration of 2008 vehicles with the identical problem should be considered. Volkswagen customer service has been contacted by several affected owners in this matter and is unwilling to acknowledge that this flaw recognized in 06-07 vehicles extends into some 2008 vehicles and is denying coverage and disregarding the safety issue that follows failure of the camshaft due to the erosion of this part. VW customer care was not able to produce proof that my vehicle had different or improved parts by way of a different set of part numbers installed. The technicians confirmed that my camshaft was identical to the recalled camshaft, and the cam follower wear was so extreme that the hpfp rod was eroding the cam surface directly. VW customer care has denied any flaw or extended warranty for 2008 2.0T owners despite the warranty extension for prior model years for the exact same problem.

- Byron Center, MI, USA

Aug 172012

Passat

Coming home from the grocery store my wife noticed a fuel smell coming from the back seat. I removed the back seat to see a access panel to the fuel tank. I removed the rubber cap and saw the top housing of the fuel pump, which is plastic, had a crack and fuel was spraying out of the crack. Called dealerships in AZ and they all said the same thing, no fuel pumps available in the United States. They have discontinued the part # 3C0919051ag and replaced it with 3C0919051am. Why did they have all dealerships return that part and no recall was issued?

- Phoenix, AZ, USA