2009 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Passat:

2009 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Apr 082016

I bought this car used and from the moment I took it of the lot 13 months ago I have been having problems. The care will stop, shake. I have already had it check 3 times and repaired twice. Fuel pump has been changed twice and I am having the same problem again. This is a huge safety hazard if I am on the expressway and no warning take place which could lead to a major accident. According to what I have read this make and model have had many issues and volkswagon has not resolved the situation. Help!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 242015

Sudden fuel system failure caused engine to quit multiple times while driving in traffic. After a few minutes sitting dead in traffic, the engine would restart and the car would operate a few minutes until the engine shut-off again. There was no warning that the engine was going to quit. The car had plenty of fuel. The following trouble codes were present when the car was taken to a mechanic: P3043- fuel pump mechanical malfunction P0087- fuel rail system pressure too low ultimately, the low pressure fuel pump, the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel control module were replaced. Even though the car had only 32,000 miles, VW declined taking any responsibility for the failure.

- Tuscasloosa, AL, USA

Dec 012014

Main rear bearing seal failure, sudden loss of power, burning smell from under car, $1,700 repair.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 222015

Passat 4-cyl

2009 VW Passat 2.0T. Oil leaking from rear main seal. Rear main seal failed at about 75,000 miles, not covered under warranty. First indication was oil spot on driveway and then check engine light came on. Inspected bottom of engine and it was coated with oil. The PCV valve failed and caused rear main seal to rupture and shoot oil (and possibly gas vapors) all over bottom of hot engine. Although nothing ignited in this case, began to question if some of the other fire incidents listed on NHTSA site were possibly caused by similar condition. Failure of approx. $40 part caused approx. $1700 in damage- all out of warranty. Warranty is for 5 years/60,000 miles. No maintenance data available to owner indicated that PCV valve should be checked as part of scheduled maintenance. VW leadership declined to accept any responibility for situation.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 262014

Passat 4-cyl

Initial failure occurred while accelerating onto main thoroughfare. Vehicle lost all engine power and stalled out. Vehicle was send to VW dealer for repair where some warranty repairs were made as well as preventative maintenance that was advised. The car was returned as "repaired" and after driving home experienced the exact same failure while the car was idling in the driveway. Car was returned again and experienced the same failure a second time while I was traveling on I275 in detroit. The car stalled out and I again lost all power. I was forced to the side of the road where the car then failed to start. I was forced to sit for three hours in 20 degree weather with a twice in 2 weeks repaired issue as my car was buried in snow on the interstate. This is a major safety hazard!

- New Hudson, MI, USA

May 142014

Passat 4-cyl

The car suddenly has 50% or less power and begins stumbling very badly. Acceleration is so poor that it's quite dangerous in heavy traffic and the ability to pull off the road is severely hampered. The only way I'm able to keep the car moving and running is to use the manual feature of the automatic transmission and keep the RPM's very high. The four coil packs in the car were replaced this spring. Suddenly, the same exact problem is back again 4 months later. Codes were random misifre and multiple misfires at various cylinders. Strange that all four packs go out at the same time...." that's not logical unless is something other than normal wear causing the issue. This problem has occurred twice and both time it begins in the middle of heavy traffic where the situation is very dangerous as the power loss is nearly complete. Both times were under acceleration when the heavy stumbling occurred. I turned the car off and disconnected the battery for 5 min. To hopefully reset the cars epc as the problem is so sudden it almost certainly is electrical. There is no logical explanation for four coil packs all needing to be replaced at the same time and 4 months after the last replacement..." undoubtedly a consistently dangerous situation.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 072014

Passat 4-cyl

My vehicle's check engine light came on and stayed on for several days, and the engine started running abnormally, so I took it to a mechanic. The mechanic discovered that the intake manifold needed to be replaced, in addition to other work on the engine and fuel system. I found out that Volkswagen had issued an extended warranty for the intake manifold and fuel injectors of my vehicle's engine. However, although my engine was of the exact same type included in the extended warranty, Volkswagen claimed I was not eligible for warranty replacement since my vehicle's VIN was not included on the extended warranty list. Considering that my vehicle has been well maintained and is only about 5 years old, I believe that the intake manifold problem is related to the problem that resulted in the warranty extension, and my vehicle should be included in the warranty extension. Updated 02/12/15

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Mar 102011

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the fuel pump had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Feb 012010

We purchased a 2009 VW Passat brand new in 2009. Since then, we have had it worked on multiple times, all for the same problem! the car shows no warning sign, and all of a sudden it shakes, shuts off, and will not restart. This has happened while driving, as well as when parked and trying to start the car. This is all in regards to defect in the fuel pump system. The fuel pump has been replaced three times, along with fuel pressure sensor, intake manifold, batteries, you name it. This problem began at about 15,000 miles, and two of the repairs were still under warranty. Everytime we have brought it to the VW dealer, it has been the same exact issue. This is an extremely dangerous issue, I was lucky I was not driving on the interstate when this occurred. I am fearful of what could happen, this car is not safe. The issue has not been fixed, and I am unsure how this has not been recalled already. I have read reviews again and again on the same issue with the 2009 Passat models, and other Passat year models have had fuel system recalls as well. Whatever the underlying cause of this, whatever is causing the fuel pump to go bad, or if they are just junk, it is not safe and this issue needs to be investigated immediately. VW will take it more seriously when a life is on the line. Still today, on 6/12/2013, thousands of dollars later, my 2009 VW Passat is once again broke down, not starting, and the fuel pump once again, needs to be replaced. Clearly this is a manufacturer's defect. We bought a brand new car for the safety and reliability value, and this has by far been the most unreliable and dangerous vehicle I have ever owned in my life.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jun 022012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. The contact was driving 10 mph when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted after the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the fuel pressure sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 79,826 and the current mileage was 79,836.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 032012

Passat 4-cyl

This was a very dangerous experience. After stopped at one traffic light, the engine was total shut down when I press the acceleration pedal. Car stopped in the middle of the road right after the car made the left turn. Then I restarted the engine, it seemed normal, but after only 300 yards when I hit the gas pedal, the engine stalked again. Car just parked in the middle of the road. I restarted the engine again, this time the check engine light was on, and same problem happened after the car barely ran over 400 yards. I finally drove to home with 7 or 8 restarts for 4 miles. Then on May 21, I called aaa to tow my car to a local VW dealer. In the morning of May 22, the dealer's service adviser called me that the high pressure fuel pump was broken and need to be replaced. The cost including diagnose is $873. However, around 4pm in the afternoon, the dealer called again and advised that the replacement of fuel pump does not solve the problem. The dealer has made call to VW for the technical support.

- Allen, TX, USA