2008 Volkswagen Rabbit electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit:

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Owner Comments

Mar 012013

Rabbit 5-cyl

The airbag light came on, because the clock spring is bad. This has also caused the horn button to not work. Sometimes the horn honks when I make sharp turns. It is unclear whether or not the driver airbag would deploy in the event of an impact, but from what I can tell it is quite unlikely. This also effects the functionality of the buttons on the sticks on either side of the steering wheel for the cruise control, the multi function display, and the windshield wipers. Sometimes those buttons work, sometimes they don't and sometimes they do things they aren't designed to do. From the research I have done this is a problem which occurs very frequently with this car.

- Littleton, CO, USA

May 192008

Rabbit 6-cyl

I bought Volkswagen Rabbit 2008 model two months ago, and less than 4,500 miles the oxygen sensor wire ripped yesterday while driving. I took the car straight to the dealership. This morning I received a phone call telling me that the cut was due to an animal!! (so it wouldn't be covered by the warranty). I look at this wire just before dropping the car at VW, and concluded either a manufacturer defect (assembly plan, manufacturing...). I was furious at their conclusion, because this could be due to a lot of factors (definitely not an animal!), but VW America must have instructed their dealership to conclude in this way. Because the same thing happened to my daughter 2008 VW jetta (same engine but 2 weeks older than mine), and her VW dealer (different than mine) concluded it was an animal. I strongly doubted that, but conceded it could happen (I never saw the broken O2 sensor in her car;) but when saw mine, I knew it was not an animal: No chewing mark, no marks around the spot denoting the presence of any animal. I have a mechanical engineering degree with 7 years experience at a shop working mostly on german cars. I was surprised to have to doubt the integrity of VW America, but they did not give me other avenue to discuss this matter, it is: We say so and you have to pay.

- Reading, PA, USA