2009 Volkswagen Rabbit brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit:

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Owner Comments

Aug 312016

The traction control on my vehicle initially did not turn on even after pressing the button that turns the ESC on and off. After not being able to activate it, my ABS, break light, ESC, and steering wheel lights have come on. Now my vehicle looses traction if I make a fast turn. My steering has also become really stiff. When the vehicle is stationary, the fuel meter goes down despite the fact that the car has fuel. Lastly, the speedometer goes up and down while being stationed. This same problem regarding the ABS control module has effected hundreds of 2009 Volkswagen owners and despite the documented evidence, Volkswagen has refused to cover this under a recall.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 202016

The ABS brake warning light came on....followed by steering light, engine light speedometer failing, gas warning light on, now my car will not start and the key is stuck to the ignition. My power windows not working properly....all started from the ABS brake warning light

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Jan 022016

My car has been running fine since purchase and I have had all the necessary maintenance done to prevent issues. Last week while driving on a major highway my cars steering wheel locked as well as stalled almost causing a major accident. When I looked it up it seems that this vehicle has been issue with campaign number: 10V621000. Albeit this is not the same issue but my vehicle has experienced fuel leakage at the same time and I have reason to believe that they are interrelated. Beyond that, there have been several complaints about the same issue on many VW forums. This is a major issue and a huge safety problem. Could you imagine the lives that could have perished if I had not handled that situation effectively. I am now told that I need to replace this part for $2000 where I truly believe Volkswagen should be held liable. This company has shady business practices and I would not be surprised if this issue is due to a defective part. My car was bought in 2009 and has 76,000 miles on it.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012016

ABS, traction control & handbrake lights turned on in the middle of driving. Nearly had accident because ABS did not activate when needed. Me and my family were in significant danger. Upon mechanic inspection the ABS module has failed.

- Emeryville, CA, USA

Dec 312014

In snowy conditions the ABS fails and completely shuts down until I restart the car. Seems to be dangerous, especially driving in snowy/icy conditions.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 302014

Rabbit 5-cyl

The ABS, brake, and stability control warning lamps came on during a scary event on the expressway. I hit the brake pedal hard and quickly turned the steering wheel in order to avoid hitting a car that swerved across two lanes and cut in front of me. The ABS and stability control systems failed, but the hydraulic brake system worked like a car without electronic controls, so I was able to control the car while braking and steering near the traction limit. The problem is that the lamps stayed on until I turned off the engine. There was no ABS or stability control system while the lights were on. I cycled the key to test the lamps. The lamps functioned correctly during the bulb test and turned off after a few seconds. On the first repair attempt, the wheel hubs, bearings, and wheel speed sensor rotors/exciter rings/tone rings were inspected. Any road debris, dust, dirt, and magnetic particles were removed. There was no looseness, end play, or runout. The wheel speed sensors were removed, cleaned, and installed, but the symptom returned during another scary event. On the second repair attempt, the ABS control module (electronic black box component, not hydraulic control component) had a software failure per VW tech support analyzing the failure conditions, visual indicators (warning lamps), audio indicators (warning tones), and scan tool codes. The ABS control module was replaced.

- Warren, MI, USA