1.7

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit:

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Rabbit

The ABS control has failed (diagnosed by Volkswagen dealership), ABS, traction control and brake lights are on, speedimoter is always on zero, the car looses steering control

- South Bend, IN, USA

Sep 242016

Rabbit

Electrical problems have been constant since purchasing (I.e. the check engine light coming on for no apparent reason during long trips, the prnd lights lighting all at once at random). These issues were not much of a problem until recently. I started the car and immediately the ABS, traction control, and brake lights lit up and the car made 3 "beeps". I turned the car off and on again, and the same thing happened and continued. I then drove on the freeway for about 10 miles when the steering, and epc lights came on. Simultaneously, the speedometer and gas gauges dropped to zero and the car would not accelerate. The steering became slow to respond/delayed. Luckily there were not many cars on the road and I safely pulled to the shoulder. I safely drove the car home that day, but my husband experienced the same issues when he tried to drive the car the day after. After researching these symptoms online, I found that this is a very common problem for 2009 gti and Rabbit models, and that, while this malfunction makes the car unsafe to drive, VW will not help consumers with the estimated $2K repair costs.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 272016

Rabbit

Driving into a curve, my ABS brake module failed, turning off my traction control, ABS disabling my power steering. As I was trying to come out of the curve, the steering failed to respond temporarily. I almost T-boned another vehicle, scaring that driver to death...I was able to pull the car out of the turn, over correcting almost putting it in a a ditch... this is a known issue.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jan 022016

Rabbit

My car has been running fine since purchase and I have had all the necessary maintenance done to prevent issues. Last week while driving on a major highway my cars steering wheel locked as well as stalled almost causing a major accident. When I looked it up it seems that this vehicle has been issue with campaign number: 10V621000. Albeit this is not the same issue but my vehicle has experienced fuel leakage at the same time and I have reason to believe that they are interrelated. Beyond that, there have been several complaints about the same issue on many VW forums. This is a major issue and a huge safety problem. Could you imagine the lives that could have perished if I had not handled that situation effectively. I am now told that I need to replace this part for $2000 where I truly believe Volkswagen should be held liable. This company has shady business practices and I would not be surprised if this issue is due to a defective part. My car was bought in 2009 and has 76,000 miles on it.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA