2.7

2009 Volkswagen Routan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Routan:

2009 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Jan 112014

Routan

I bought my VW Routan used in September 2014. In the 1st couple of months the transmission would stop shifting (I would turn it off and back on) to fix it and in November 2014 the transmission went out and got stuck in 3rd gear while driving and wouldn't reset after turning off, this is when the check engine light came on, at 62,000 miles. Had to have a new $6000 transmission brought in from germany to be put in the van. Now less than 30,000 miles later after a new original transmission put in, having the same problem not shifting out of 3rd gear and having to pull it over turn it off and turn it back on for it to work properly again.

- Millington, TN, USA

Jul 302016

Routan

*sometimes the vehicle will not start for no apparent reason.VW service dept. Cannot detect an issue. *engine light comes on intermittently while driving-VW cannot detect anything wrong.* alarms go off but no signal showing on the dashboard.*power windows and seats work intermittently- *found vehicle's sliding door wide open I parking lot, twice. * have also found windows open. Our lift gate (trunk) opened while driving on the highway.* vehicle failed to shift, while driving, revved and would not reset until pulling over and turning off the vehicle. Though VW could not find faulty readings and didn't believe tipm is the issue because they couldn't read it. Being familiar with programming, I know that glitches can cause faulty readings.if there is a glitch before the reading can be processed by the computer, there will be no faulty reading logged. A pc won't save a file, either if the power supply is interrupted before it can do so..tipm malfunctions can also cause all other issues I have experienced. Upon getting a second opinion from transmission specialists, they said only the solenoid was faulty. They also confirmed that a faulty tipm box will cause solenoid issues and eventually ruin the new one, too. *recently, all locks stopped working & the vehicle can only be opened & locked manually. At the same time all interior lights were on and had to be turned off at the dashboard- this would have drained the battery had it happened on a work day. VW has had the vehicle for 2 full days and yet doesn't know what's wrong with it. We have had these issues and useless repairs for over 2 years. All issues point to faulty tipm (manufactured by Chrysler, who had to settle in a lawsuit about the tipm box/ faulty relay issue for Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler). We need help with these issues. Too many of us have it 2011 and 2012 models as well. Please help.

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 132015

Routan

I driving last month 47 mph and my driving sliding door open and my 8 years girls was dear and she scare when the door open when I driving, , and when I stop the door not want to close automatic..that scare me and my wife... the other concern is my transmision hard shiffting, hard shiffting, I ready take like 5,6 time my van to check my transmission and my sliding door and the say is normal, and my sliding door not found anytime, they say the sliding door recall was done ready, , the other big concern is the gas mileage, only 11 or 12 gallon for miles they did a lot test and not found nothing, ,is poss to 16 mph for gallon and never have that, ,.... thanks.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 102014

Routan

The first incident with a "clunking" noise of the transmission began on 7/10/2014 at 51,496 miles. When shifting from reverse to drive car makes a "clunking" noise and jerks the car forward. It was noted by dealership after a test drive no faults found. On 3/19/15 at 58,611 miles car returned to dealership. Same clunking and grinding noises. Faults: P0868, P1790 & P0944. Pressure readings to low in tcm control wires. Transmission to be replaced per dealership. Findings: Under drive clutches worn out, sungears and assembly damaged with metal metal fragments. On 4/30/2015 and 59,215 miles, car returned to dealership for same grinding and clunking noises. Dealership performed another "quick learn test." As of 5/19/2015 and 60,001 miles, transmission is still grinding and clunking on occasion during acceleration and/or transmission shift from reverse to drive. The vehicle also randomly "stalls" while at stoplights/stop-signs with no normal frequency. Even with a new transmission, same issues are still surrounding this car. Thanks.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 212015

Routan 6-cyl

I went to pass a vehicle at 65mph and the accelerator pedal did not release, the van hit 80-mph before I popped it in neutral and then back into drive to correct the issue. Hitting the brakes had no effect on the unintended acceleration. This vehicle is mechanically identical to Chrysler Town & Country and dadge Grand Caravan, see other identical complaints here: forums.edmunds.com/discussion/14835/Dodge/Voyager/Dodge-grand-Caravan-sudden-acceleration?

- Rochester, MN, USA

Mar 172015

Routan

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. While in park, the vehicle failed to start. While driving at 40 mph, there was a beeping noise coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the range selector needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V396000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 062015

Routan

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that after stopping at traffic light, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V396000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,031.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 282013

Routan 6-cyl

Catastrophic failure of transmission at 76K. Major transmission work done approximately 26K. Transmission replaced 6 months later and still has issues (sluggish, non-smooth shift between gears at higher cruising speeds. VW engineer gerardo zeledon calls this the "Routan shake" and claims this is normal. Approximately 95,000 miles steering began seizing up while in motion. This is, according to recall notice and service manager at flow VW winston salem nc, a behavior related to a recall on the ignition switch (ntsha 14V-396). No parts are available and the car is unsafe to drive. However, VW cannot fix the problem and will not allow us to use a loaner.

- Browns Summit, NC, USA

Jun 062012

Routan

Where to begin with this car. All 4 valve stems needed to be replaced. I was losing pressure in my tires, and mechanic said they were corroded. Then my tiptronics did not work, also when you shifted in to gear, it didn't want to move. Had the whole shifting lever component replaced. Lots of trouble with the doors not opening right, then when closing the sensor doesn't always work. Almost had my kids get caught in the door. If the car is even on the slightest slope the door won't close. While driving down the road at 55mph the car just shut off. No power steering! very dangerous. I had to rent a car to go on vacation, I didn't feel safe enough to drive on the interstate with it. Happened may times. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now I think the transmission is going. I am so frustrated with this car!

- Shoreham, VT, USA