2010 Volkswagen Routan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Routan:

2010 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Aug 282016

Routan

I am writing to address a safety issue I have with my vehicle, a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. My husband and I purchased this car last year and shortly after its purchase started to experience electrical issues with the vehicle. These issues included warning lights on the dash illuminating, power failures of the dash board gauges (specifically the speed gauge) and radio, and most alarmingly the car would completely stall and lose power. This issue of losing power to the entire car has happened both while the car is in motion and while it has been stopped at traffic lights, as well as at high and low speeds. We took the car to a local VW dealership hoping they might be able to diagnose the issue and fix it. After nearly 3 weeks of having different parts replaced, being told the issue was solved it was not. When driving the vehicle with only the key in the ignition it performs better, although still dies occasionally, but with anything on the keyring it will die almost instantly. It wasnżT until after removing our car from this dealership that we learned about a recall on the VW Routans that seemed very similar to the issues we were experiencing. Upon research we discovered that our vehicle was produced within the same month of the recalled vehicles but apparently not before the ending date of that recall. So other VW dealerships would be happy to replace the malfunctioning part but at an out of pocket cost for us, which we simply cannot afford, especially after the bill we are still working to pay for other unnecessary work. As a consumer it is very frustrating to have a vehicle that is clearly demonstrating the same issues as previously recalled vehicles but does not fall under that recall. We have reduced to only driving this vehicle as necessary and no longer use it to Transport our two young children as we fear greatly for their safety.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Jul 052016

Routan

Car flashes ABS esp skid control monitor, shuts car off while driving. Goes back off, does it again.locks the car, won't start, then starts a bit later. Cooling system, heater hose issues, brake issues, cruise control shuts off randomly. Could kill someone. Internet search esp volkswagenddefect.comvolkswagen_routan_problems.htm all exactly what I have experienced since purchasing this vehicle a year ago. Afraid to drive it.

- Defiance, Oh, OH, USA

Jan 042016

Routan

My vehicle is experiencing the same problem as other vehicles of the same year that received a recall. The car just shuts off, loses power and all steering, braking and so on. It makes the vehicle very dangerous. The other vehicles in this year all had bad ignition switches but VW refuses to include my vehicle and others like it of the same model year that have the exact same problem. I believe that they need to expand this recall to include more vehicles of the 2010 model. The vehicle is not safe to drive and is scary when it just cuts out on you when you are driving 30-40 mph plus.

- Rome, NY, USA

Jul 292015

Routan

My mini-van shut off/ stalled while I was driving on the road. Every time it stalled I was driving slowly through construction zone or in front of a light where I had to pressed the brake to stop the car for over 30 seconds. I send it to VW service for repair but no problem was found. I am too scared to drive the car because I never know when its the next time it will stall again while I am driving on the road.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Jan 062014

• 2,500,000 miles
When I brake the streering wheel shakes from other consumer complaints it is a brake issue as it only happens when I brake. There needs to be a recall! the car is still under warranty when it started happening!

- Enola, PA, USA

Jan 122011

Routan 6-cyl

The brakes started vibrating and shuddering when the brake pedal was pushed. Took to dealer and were told that the rotors were warped and the disk pads were worn out. Still under warranty so they replaced rotors and brake pads. This has happened approximately every 8 months we have had the car. The first three were covered under warranty. I had to fight with the dealer for the third replacement. The fourth replacement of the brakes the dealer refused to cover the cost. We had to pay to get the work done. We are now about 10 months from those brake replacements and once again the car is shuddering violently when we apply the brakes. This seems to be a chronic issue and a safety issue. I understand that brake pads wear out but I cannot believe that you have to replace the rotors and brake pads every 8/10 months under normal driving. This car is primarily used to take my kids to school and activities. Updated 5/1/2015

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Jul 032014

Routan

The vehicle's rear brakes are prematurely wearing uneven in the rear of the vehicle, causing safety concerns for my family. When I went to look up brake replacement online one of the reviews said that a clip was left off during the manufacturing process during the merging between Chrysler and Volkswagen.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jun 252014

Routan 6-cyl

Volkswagen Routan 2010: The steering wheel shakes violently upon braking a regular speeds, especially going downhill. Front rotors were replaced at 22,000, 35,000, and now 54,000 miles.

- Charottesville, VA, USA

Jun 072013

Routan 6-cyl

2010 Volkswagen routon with 17,000 miles began shaking and shuddering every time I brake, even at slow speeds. This car is used for minimal driving. I brought my car in and was told I need new rotors and that my rotors were warped. I am still driving the car and the brakes still shudder and shake.. I spoke to a mechanic that doesn't work for Volkswagen but on german cars and he said he owned a routon and it is a common problem with their rotors. I read several complaints and reviews online with the same issue too. I don't think its safe to have car manufacturers make brake systems so poorly as I may be able to afford a repair, many else wont as the repair is costly and not what a person would expect from a car with little mileage. I just wanted to bring it to your attention in case others have reported the problem.

- Ladera Ranch , CA, USA

Jun 072012

Routan 6-cyl

Bought the van in February 2012 since then it has been in the shop 11 times for transmission, rotors, and my passenger sliding doors they open automatically. Now its leaking antifreeze and we bought extended warranty and this part the plastic Y part that contexts two hoses they say isn't covered and wants us to pay 450$ to do it..the van has 38,035 miles we bought it with 18,563 miles how can this vehicle have this many problems? my power doors I believe if they open when your pumping gas isn't right.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 112013

Routan 6-cyl

2010 Routan with 26K miles pulls to the right and most likely has done so since I bought it since the tires need replacing. The brakes have been replaced at 18K and now need to be done again. VW denies there is an issue with vehicles pulling to the right. Opened case 130240300 with VW. They refuse to cover the cost to diagnose the cause of the pulling and tire wear. Recall needs to be issued I have seen numerous postings with the same issue online.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

May 252011

Routan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced numerous failures. The rear rotors became warped numerous times and the dealer replaced the rotors four times. The transmission would cause the vehicle to lunge abruptly when the gear was shifted from reverse to drive. Additionally, the fog light assembly became overheated and burned several times. The plastic on the front passenger side door became fractured and caused the contact to sustain lacerations to the right hand and fingers. The vehicle was taken the to the dealer where all defective parts were replaced however, the contact was concerned that the failures would likely recur. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,418 and the current mileage was 14,470.

- Long Beach , CA, USA