4.0

2010 Volkswagen Routan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Routan:

2010 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Sep 012016

Routan

The steering wheel makes a cranking sound when right turns and left turn is made. Apparent that an accident can easily occur if this persists. The dealership in greatneck NY was not able correct this problem despite numerous complaints. This problem happen when the vehicle is in motion and turns are made by the driver. This problem has persisted over the years - sometime in August 2012, I brought vehicle into the dealership to have it checked for a problem related to the steering wheel. I still have a related problem with the vehicle. This vehicle is unsafe to drive my 5 children. Becuase the dealer could not resolve this problem and it has now arose again. This complaint is now submitted. I do have an invoice which states my complaint back in 2012.

- Hastings On Hudson, NY, USA

Oct 152015

Routan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized without warning and the electrical systems failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V194000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Short Hills, NJ, USA

Jan 042016

Routan

My vehicle is experiencing the same problem as other vehicles of the same year that received a recall. The car just shuts off, loses power and all steering, braking and so on. It makes the vehicle very dangerous. The other vehicles in this year all had bad ignition switches but VW refuses to include my vehicle and others like it of the same model year that have the exact same problem. I believe that they need to expand this recall to include more vehicles of the 2010 model. The vehicle is not safe to drive and is scary when it just cuts out on you when you are driving 30-40 mph plus.

- Rome, NY, USA

May 042015

Routan

In April 2015 the check engine light came on in my 2010 VW Routan, maybe a week or so later it started to stall while I was driving it. I took it to an import dealer locally to have it looked at and was told that the egr valve was bad. They replaced it, which cost me $400, and put a new gas cap on it. In July the engine light came on again, had the codes run at a parts store and it was the egr valve again. Took it back to the shop that did the first repair because it still had a parts and labor warrantee with them. They replaced it again. Now, in September, my engine light is on again and again it says it's the egr valve. I have called the shop to get it in to be repaired again, waiting on a call back. This issue is quite scary because it has and probably will again stall out on the highway causing me to have to try to pull over and put it in neutral to restart it. I called VW customer care and was told that I would need to take it to a VW dealership at my own cost to have it diagnosed, and basically tell me what I already know, I am not spending another $400 to replace this valve when I have already done that once this year. Because I refuse to pay for repairs that are covered under the original shop warrantee VW refuses to do anything or even acknowledge that this is an issue.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jul 292015

Routan

My mini-van shut off/ stalled while I was driving on the road. Every time it stalled I was driving slowly through construction zone or in front of a light where I had to pressed the brake to stop the car for over 30 seconds. I send it to VW service for repair but no problem was found. I am too scared to drive the car because I never know when its the next time it will stall again while I am driving on the road.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Apr 112013

Routan 6-cyl

2010 Routan with 26K miles pulls to the right and most likely has done so since I bought it since the tires need replacing. The brakes have been replaced at 18K and now need to be done again. VW denies there is an issue with vehicles pulling to the right. Opened case 130240300 with VW. They refuse to cover the cost to diagnose the cause of the pulling and tire wear. Recall needs to be issued I have seen numerous postings with the same issue online.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Apr 042011

Routan 6-cyl

Vehicle pulls to the right. Vehicle was taken to dealer three times for repair and to an independent dealer. Alignment performed each time, but vehicle continues to pull to right. Dealer and vwoa state that because alignment is within spec there is nothing that can be done. I indicated that problem is likely with steering rack, suspension or sub frame, but dealer and vwoa insisted that because alignment is within spec there is nothing else they will do. Vehicle continues to pull to the right and driving vehicle requires constant pressure on wheel to keep the vehicle straight.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Feb 222010

Routan

2010 Routan with less than 10K miles on it. While driving on a city street the vehicle shut off leaving us with no power brakes, no power steering and very little control of the car. My husband was able to pull over and wait for the car to stop. He then put it in park and restarted it. We took it straight to the dealership service. The same thing had happened to me the day before and at least a dozen times before that. I thought it was something I was doing. VW service can find nothing wrong with the vehicle and we have made it clear that they can keep it until they do. We do not feel safe and will not trust our lives or the lives of our child and friends in this car. I have heard many other people with this same problem. Something needs to be addressed asap. I have contacted VW and notified them of the problem and waiting for a call back. Also waiting for news on our vehicle..day 2 at the shop.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Jul 242010

Routan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. While the contact was driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle began pulling into the right direction independently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer five times for the identical failure. A front end alignment was performed twice and the rear axle was also replaced. The failure persisted following repairs. The contact was in the process of taking the vehicle back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 4.

- Lisbon, ME, USA

Sep 092010

Routan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle began abnormally pulling to the right, causing difficulty in steering. The contact took the vehicle to a local dealer to have a wheel alignment performed and to have the tires rotated yet the failure persisted. The contact stated there were many complaints online regarding the same year, make and model as his with complaints of the vehicle pulling to the right independently. The contact was concerned of a potential crash involved with the failure occurring. The failure mileage was 200. Updated 01/26/11 updated 04/18/11

- Alden, NY, USA

Sep 032010

Routan

The contact owns 2010 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that the transmission and steering goes out on the vehicle. The vehicle will stop while driving at any speed and the steering will fail. If the vehicle is turned off and re-started the transmission will work, but the vehicle will continue to shift very hard and there is a loud banging sound and it feels like someone hit the vehicle. The vehicle gives no warning before the failures occur. The dealer has inspected the vehicle and stated that they cannot find any problems with the transmission. The failure mileage and current mileages was 659.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA