2.3

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Sep 262016

Tiguan

Vehicle was driven home with no indication of an issue but vehicle would not start the next day. Battery was checked by aaa and was deemed charged and not the problem. Vehicle was towed by aaa to stone's german garage in seattle wa. And sgg told me the next day that the timing chain(s) had slipped and the repair invoice is attached.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 232016

Tiguan

On 6/23/16 (77000 estimated miles) vehicle signaled "oil pressure low" it immediately stalled while in motion on the expressway during traffic hour during our vacation while it was on and we were driving. Miraculously we were able to push the stalled vehicle to safety and there were no injuries. It has to be towed to our hometown. VW dealership advised us that it would require an engine replacement. That the timing belt had taken out the engine. Estimated costs of repairs $7800. Owner's manual states that the timing belt is a lifetime part, it does not suggest maintenance or repair of it at any point. Our private mechanic repaired it for $3800. Spoke to VW stated that they would not repair or cover the costs. Case #161500844 with VW.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Aug 232016

Tiguan

Turbo failure due to internal mechanical failure. VW would not pay any of the repair cost of $2697 due to year/mileage of vehicle. Dealership diagnosed check engine light and said that it was unsafe to drive off the lot because driving without a functioning turbo will destroy the engine.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Aug 042016

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan. While starting the vehicle, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was immediately towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain skipped and destroyed the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Jun 012016

Tiguan

One night I parked my Tiguan everything was ok, in the middle of the night my wife was getting ready to go to work couldn't get the car started. Next morning I rented an obd2 scaner and read the codes. Had the car towed to the dealer ship. Next day they called me and told be because of the timing chain tensioner failing my motor basically grenaded and they needed $7216 to repair. The car had 62K miles and it was 6 months passed warranty. I contacted customer care and they only agreed to cover 50% which leaves me with 3K bill that I couldn't have avoided. I never knew the Tiguan had a 10K mile oil change service so I always changed at 3K. How could have I avoided this failure.

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Dec 092015

Tiguan

The motor started to run rough. It was ideling from 1500 to 2000 RPM. I was told it is the pressure control valve. I changed the diaphram in the P.C.V. it was torn. It also caused my rear main motor seal to start to leak oil. Problem only got worse as now I have a fuel injector stuck shut. I drive city only. Car has 76000 miles on it. Rear main seal blew because of the faulty P.C.V. it controls engine and oil preassure. Estimated repair is 1500.00to $2200. I have read this has happened to some other VW Tiguan owners. Thalk you carl checko

- Clarks-Summit, PA, USA

Jan 312016

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2010 volkswagon Tiguan. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle became unresponsive and the engine would not operate as normal. The check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain tensioner belt failed and the engine would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 312015

Tiguan

While driving 25-30 mph on a city street, vehicle stopped accelerating (much like running out of gas...) dealer states timing chain tensioner failed destroying engine-I understand VW has a tsb out on this for years and though I serviced my vehicle at dealer, never knew of this potential problem

- Portland, ME, USA

May 012015

Tiguan

Emailed to to VW customer care on 9/26/15, one could argue these are safety related, the fuse box was melted. The engine timing chain slipped & caused engine damage that would have been more expensive to repair than the cost of a new engine. To customer care: We've had significant problems with our 2010 Tiguan - does VW offer any financial help with these (factory defects?) - replace fuse box: $550, 8/16/2013 parts & labor, odometer was not stated on invoice - new engine: $6,866.16, 05/13/2015 parts and labor, odometer 66,539 miles the dealer offered no warranty coverage & their price was high so we went elesewhere - do not plan to buy or recommend VW in the future considering these large issues I have the receipts, will scan & E-mail if that helps - service location: Volks & rings, 13669 warwick blvd, newport news, va 23602 - volks & rings phone: 757-874-0018 jeff stough 103 tristen dr yorktown, va 23693 cell: 757-503-4997

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jul 112015

Tiguan

Rear main seal gushing oil due to defective seal, timing cover seal leaking, recirculation valve leaking, crankcase valve leaking. Regular maintainance on car, otherwise in perfect condition. No reason for this to happen with such low miles..

- Kingston, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Tiguan

In February 2014, my Tiguan began stalling when I would slow down to enter an off or on ramp. I would slow down, but when I attempted to speed back up, the car would begin stalling out, at times stalling out completely. I changed fuel, thinking that might be the problem, but it wasn't. my neighbor, who had just bought a 2014 Tiguan, told me he had received a recall notice regarding stalling issues involving the fuel pump in all Tiguans from 2009-2014. I googled the recall, and then made an appointment regarding this issue, taking my car in on May 5, 2014 at hallmark volkswagon, bakers bridge rd in franklin, tn. The service department, according to my paperwork, states they "replaced transfer pump in tank on driver side then test drove. Found fuel pressure still low. Replaced in tank fuel pump (passenger side) then rechecked. Fuel pressures ok and no longer stalls." Since that service date, my Tiguan has been back to be serviced several times, for continued stalling issues, and to date, has not been resolved. The stalling now occurs at different times and more frequently. The "safety issue" regarding the stalling is a serious one, in that when my Tiguan begins stalling out, my foot is on the gas pedal and not the brake, resulting in the driver behind me not knowing that I am either slowing down or coming to a stop. I have come very close to being rear-ended on numerous occasions due to this issue, and it is only a matter of time, before I do get rear-ended, and the likelihood of it being on a highway by a semi truck is very good, as I drive to cincinnati often to see my cardiologist for heart issues. I leave again in 2 days for heart surgery in cincinnati...I have 3 things to fear: 1) getting there safely 2) surviving heart surgery 3) getting back safely...the stress of driving a car that may, or may not, stall out, is not good for my heart!

- Franklin, TN, USA

May 302015

Tiguan

2010 VW Tiguan would not start, had vehicle towed into VW dealer said timing chain had skipped estimated repair cost $2,300. Two weeks later dealership calls and says it looks as though we have a bent valve. Estimated repair would be additional 2,500 dollars or I could get an engine replacement $7,500. This car has had oil changes and maintenance done on a routine basis. Driven very conservatively over duration of ownership. Car was purchased brand new in June 2010. Very disappointed in vehicle would never recommend anyone buying a Tiguan

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 012014

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan. After starting the engine, the radiator warning light illuminated. The contact discovered that the coolant from the radiator was present in the engine compartment. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the water pump failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Dec 092014

Tiguan 4-cyl

Driving on freeway at 70 mph and experienced failure of timing chain tensioner. Cam skipped chain and caused pistons to impact valves. Total and complete engine failure that was sudden and unexpected at highway speed. My research finds that VW is aware of this problem but will not issue a recall.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Aug 302014

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the engine stalled and transmission failed. The contact was able to maneuver the vehicle to side of road. The battery and cdc-edc warning indicators were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired with a replacement engine, fly wheels that assisted the crank signal and new battery. The contact mentioned that shortly after the repairs were completed, the independent mechanic diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired per the transmission failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Warwick , RI, USA

Aug 072014

Tiguan 4-cyl

The check engine light came on. Took the vehicle to dealer and the diagnose came misfire from cylinder 2. they told me it was a carbon built up on the valves and it's not covered under power train warranty.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Aug 042014

Tiguan

Was leaving the cul-de-sac where we live and the first intersection is a "T". as the car started to make a left hand turn the car shut down with no warning. With the steering hydraulic system shut down and brake system shut down, we are blessed the car was able to stop before hitting a parked trailer. Put the car on park, restarted the car with no problem, then the engine light came on, put it on drive to drive it back home and stalled again, completely off. After two attempts, made it home and into garage. A couple of hours later I turned the car on and engine light was on. Did not move it. Next morning, to drive it to dealer hoping no tow needed, I noticed no engine warning light so I decided to try driving it to dealer. It stalled and shut down again backing out of garage. Put it on park, turned it on but did not turn on A/C this time. Made it all the way ok to dealer and engine warning light never turned on. Around the dealer, I drove it with A/C on and could not replicate the event. Highly concerned that this could have happened at a higher speed on a gradual curve would have been potentially a deadly accident. I'm expecting a call from the dealer sometime today.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Feb 282014

Tiguan

The engine is shutting off/stalling without any warning, this has happened a few times. Each time the symptoms are the same, after driving for about an hour the car is parked and left for one or two hours. When it is restarted it runs for about 30 seconds and then shuts off with no warning, the car can be moving at the time or stationary and still in park, either way the engine can be restarted but may shut down for a second time after another 30 seconds. So far it has not required more than one restart, there are no fault codes which may indicate a fuel or electrical issue. I have researched this and it appears to be a common issue with the Tiguan. My concern is that the car may be involved in an accident as you have to wait for the car to come to a complete stop then select park and restart the engine, you can then put it back into drive before you can pull away again, and repeat if it happens a second time.

- Woodstock, CT, USA

Jun 252013

Tiguan 4-cyl

I started up the car and multiple dash warnings then went off. The epc light, check engine light and the head lamps warnings all turned on. I then popped the hood and opened up the fuse box to make sure the fuses were seated correctly. Upon checking the fuses I noticed the box itself was melted and scorched meaning there had been fire at some point under the hood. I then took my Volkswagen to the closest VW dealership service station. It cost $400 (Michigan) to replace the fuse box, also leaving me questioning if this will happen again. After some investigation online I found that this is not rare. The VW dealership that did the repair stated that this was the 8th one he himself has done. Hopefully this does not happen again. Lights randomly going out is a safety hazard, and could lead to car accidents, injurys, and fatalities.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Aug 282012

Tiguan

(cylinder failing/injectors leaking) engine light came on and the dealer said it was bad gas in my tank to let the gas run out and to fill up somewhere else. Car didn't have much power and idling wasn't smooth. They also said that if I keep getting bad gas that it will damage the catalyst converter which I then replied check the gas receipts in the car since I only buy bp and mobile 93 octane not my fault that gas station might be selling bad gas. We do own another car an Audi with a turbo engine as well and we get gas at the same gas stations and we haven't had any problems. Weeks later the car wasn't running any better so I took it to another place for them to let me know why the light was on. Code meant cylinder 2 and 4 failing. Took it back to the dealer and they told me that they had to clean the fuel injectors on both of those cylinder that it was due to the gas and that it wasn't cover under the warranty which I told them again check all the receipts in the glove compartment for the type of gas that I have been putting in. Then he asked me if I drive it in the expressway which I said sometimes on the weekends and to take road trips 2 to 3 times per year. He mentioned something about city driving that the car needed to be driving at a higher speed which I then reply: It is not on the manual and this is my fourth VW turbo engine and never had this type of problems then he called me back and told me that it was the way the new engine were designed that they will take care of it which they did. I just hope this doesn't happens every 23K miles. It will be very expensive repairs not counting when cylinder 1 and 3 starts to fail.

- Miami, FL, USA