2010 Volkswagen Tiguan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jul 252014

Tiguan 4-cyl

I bought the VW Tiguan because it was rated #1 for safety but the morning of Friday July 25 2014 as I was leaving to work I started my car but the power steering was gone completely. I could drive forward and back but the steering wheel did not move at all as iand the power steering failure light came on in the dashboard. The Tiguan is almost 4 yrs old with 73,000 miles. The age is the issue with this problem. This has me very concern because what if I was driving on the freeway and the power steering failed then" I could only imagine what could have happen. What if my children were with me" this problem is unacceptable, inexcusable and life threatening. This is a very serious safety issue with the Tiguan. At the VW dealership's car shop I was told that they never heard of such problem with the Tiguans. I searched on the web and it turns out there are several hundred 2009-2011 VW Tiguans owners that had that same problem, I got an estimate to fix it of $2,045. I called VW customer service and they where very nice and told me that they were going to see if they could help me with the repair. Next day I get a call from them and told me that they were not going to do anything about it because my Tiguan had more than 70,000 miles and way out of warranty. This power steering problem has nothing to do with the Tiguans age. Other people that have had this same experience and only had their Tiguan for 2 months with 1,800 miles on and the problem keeps recurring! warranty or no warranty this is a design flaw and should be covered by VW. Also in my opinion this is an issue worth a major recall but so far VW seems to be waiting for the first deaths to occur before they will react. There is always possibility that in traffic, the power steering really could go any moment. I am now very scared to be driving the Tiguan it's not safe and I don't feel safe!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 082013

Tiguan

2010 VW Tiguan, with repeated engine failures associated with power steering module, boost solenoid / engine coils, wiring harness, fuse re-call, loss of power / thrust / electrical panel instability, beginning in July 2013 upon the limited wolfsburg platform. Service was provided by a VW dealership, 16 days prior to the August 2013 accident. The car was not returned to me until October 1, 2013. (almost 8 weeks) a rental car was applied, but there was significant out of pocket expense for taxes / fee's for a 2 month rental. The VW upon return Oct 1, 2013 then broke down again on Oct 9th, for electrical failure again. The car was towed back to VW dealership for repair. I was given a complimentary loaner car. The VW was then returned and then ran without significant incident until March 16th, of which the engine failed for engine coils, and was towed back to the VW dealership for service, the car then experienced another electrical mechanical failure on 3/25, resulting in a 2nd front end collision. I received a not at fault decision on the first accident, per the commonwealth of MA.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Dec 312010

Tiguan 4-cyl

We have had the power steering cut out multiple times in the vehicle. It has not happened while driving, the red power steering light seems to be on when we start it the second time for the day and doesn't always reset when restarting the car. We have yet to bring it to get fixed as the nearest dealer is 1200kms away.

- Yellowknife, 00, USA

Mar 272010

Tiguan

I was driving down the freeway in my 2 month old 2010 Tiguan when a car in the left lane came over into my lane. I swerved to the right to avoid him hitting me and when I did the Tiguan started jerking back and forth (left to right and back) so hard that it jerked the steering wheel out of my hands. It was all I could do to keep the car going straight. I had to hold on so tight with both hands that I wasn't even able to let go long enough to honk at the other car.

- Roland, AR, USA