2011 Volkswagen Tiguan drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jul 032016

My Tiguan only running 50K miles broke down in the middle of the highway. The engine light went on and the car stopped accelerating. When I towed it to the mechanic, I was told the timing chain tensioner and crankshaft sensor were bad. The timing chain tensioner defect caused complete engine failure. I now do not have an engine. After looking into this issue and talking to some lawyers all over the us, it seems like many people with VW Tiguans (2.0L engines) have this issue and there are a few class action law suits in the us regarding this matter. I spoke to VW of America and they said there was no recall issued, although they are aware of this defect. VW dealership now tells me the estimated cost to repair the engine and timing chain tensioner is around $10,000. If the timing chain tensioner was not defective, my engine would have never failed. I showed them proof of oil changes over the last 3 years in which were all done in a timely manner. I am now fighting with VW of America about this issue. There should be a recall on these vehicles. My car immediately broke down on the highway and I was very lucky that no one crashed into me. This is a very dangerous problem.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 052015

When I am at a traffic light, my transmission tends to bump like it is going into another gear. This happens when my vehicle is stopped and my foot is on the brake.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Dec 242014

Tiguan 4-cyl

Vehicle shifted to a lower gear (it is automatic), almost killing our family on the highway.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Feb 052014

The engines rear main oil seal started leaking. Brought it to Volkswagen dealer where the car was bought and stated that there was thought to be an oil leak and while the oil change was done if they could take a look it would be greatly appreciated. Now at 65000 miles and 5000 over the factory warranty they finally acknowledge the problem and are wanting over $1500 to fix it. The whole underside of the car is soaked in oil and my once nice driveway looks like a truck stop. Volkswagen refuses to work with us. I find it absolutely ridiculous that such a new car should have such an expensive issue with so little miles. My work truck has 300K miles and has yet to drip even a drop of oil in my driveway... and its over 10 years old. The biggest kicker is the dealers lack to acknowledge the problem till well after the warranty was passed.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Apr 232013

The parking brake sets itself whenever the vehicle is in park. Also, when you depress the brakes and come to a stop, it will not roll forward or move until the gas is pressed. The necessity of pressing the gas to move at all is also the case in reverse.

- Garland, TX, USA